Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Being A Beta

It has been such a pleasure to see a few of my friends' WIPs recently. My poor betas get worked to death with how many WIPs I've written, and I'm so happy to return the favor. They sure have helped me so much.

Did I mention my friends are so, so very extra cool? I'm way too lucky. And guess what happens when you have cool friends? They write super awesome books that you get to read FIRST. I love that. I love watching the writing process unfold, watching their stories change as my own do. I feel so honored that they trust me enough to read.

Being a beta is just exciting to me. I don't have time to read for every soul out there, but I love to see how creative my friends are. I love their worlds and characters just as much as my own. I get all worked up and excited to help make their stories shine. And I'm so caught up in one right now that I have nothing else to say. See yesterday's post. That was probably my weekly quota of smart.

10 comments:

  1. It's amazing to watch stories develop. I think being a beta is fun...but I also think that betas should have cooler names. I can imagine saying "Thank you for reading my book, awesome-super-pretty-reader!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a privilege! And so exciting. One day I hope to have something vaguely finished to share...

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a great beta to have. I sure appreciate what you've read of my work, and reading yours is a great pleasure.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For some reason this post made me want to sing...."wouldn't you like to be a beta too..." :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love being a beta! (lol, does that remind anyone else of Brave New World?)

    And, I agree with lotusgirl, you are a fantastic beta reader, Natalie. Truly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your beta buddy is very lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it's high time this was renamed.

    Maybe you should hold a contest.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Being a beta is amazing, I agree! I hope you can beta for me sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Betas are awesome. Thanks for being one of mine. You're really good at it. And I feel privileged, too, when people let me read their books. (actually I feel smug, but we'll leave that out of the equation)

    ReplyDelete