Friday, May 25, 2012

One Foot In Front Of The Other

Today I attempted to exercise for the first time in many, many months. It was rather comical to me, seeing as I could barely walk at a moderate pace without getting winded. This time last year I was in the best shape of my life, and now I'm two weeks postpartum and feeling every bit of it.

Yesterday was the first time in many, many months that I decided it was time to write again in earnest. I've been playing around, but it's time to get another book finished, time to commit to a project no matter how hard it gets. So I wrote a page, and it wasn't easy, even though there was a time where I was writing books in under a month's time.

Basically, it could be really easy to get discouraged right now.

I'm nowhere near where I used to be, but that doesn't make my efforts invalid. I think sometimes we get overwhelmed when we falter on the path, however noble the life circumstances that may cause the setback. I mean, I had a baby—I'm not about to beat myself up over that! But I also don't see it as an excuse to stop moving forward.

Goals don't have to be huge. They don't have to be overwhelming. They should make you stretch—not break. They should motivate you to keep going, not make you feel like you'll never get there.

So for now I'm putting one foot in front of the other, and I'm determined to be proud of every step I take.

17 comments:

  1. Such an inspiring post! Keep up the great work (and post more baby pics :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed you even tried. My baby will be one tomorrow (WAHHH!!) and there was no way in hades I was working out two weeks later. YOU ARE AWESOME!! Keep it up. That baby weight will fall off so fast and you'll bounce back into shape.

    Now with that said...GO TAKE A NAP! You'll thank me at 2 a.m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just THINKING about working out two weeks after a baby would be a big step for me. Haha. Good for you. And good luck with the writing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I think you're too awesome for your own good. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Writing I guess is like so many other things -- use it or lose it. You haven't done it in a while, it's only natural you'd be a little rusty, find it difficult to get started, etc. Small steps, I'm sure you'll get back in the groove pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a feeling this will be my problem--I'll be easily discouraged by my slow pace.
    Personally, I think you're amazing. You're my inspiration. I keep telling myself, that if you can do it, I can do it too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! When you break it down to something like writing a page, it doesn't seem as overwhelming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So true. Every word of it. A page written is a page written. I need to tell myself that because I've been going sooooo slow in the writing world lately.

    And speaking of you having a baby, I can't wait to hold that. :) One more month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Goals don't have to be huge. They don't have to be overwhelming. They should make you stretch—not break. They should motivate you to keep going, not make you feel like you'll never get there.

    Yeah, I'm hanging this above my desk AND on my refrigerator! Thanks for the pep talk!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't write until long after my first baby. And my second baby will be six next week and I still rarely exercise. . .hmm, I see a bad trend. :(

    Thanks for the pep talk - now do what you need to do and don't worry about what the rest of us think. Oh, and love that baby to death. You'll blink your eyes and that little thing will almost be six!
    erica

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm amazed you are exercising at all! I always skipped exercise for months, okay years, after my kids. ;)

    And you are so right- goals don't have to be big. One foot in front of the other is just the right amount.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stretch not break - I like that. It's a good way to think of goals. Maybe that's why many goals drop by the wayside because we reach too far or too suddenly. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Page is a page. And honestly I always think it is okay to take small steps to writing again. I took half a year off last year (I did a lot of reading books but not writing) and I came back to it this year, so much more refreshed. Congratulations on the baby again, Natalie and I know you'll get back into writing. Just take small steps... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Right now, little steps are definitely in order!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have been working on goals that are attainable. And as I'm currently on crutches, it's two walking assistants and one foot - talk about slow and steady :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Goals... sorry, I got distracted by the picture of your adorable baby in the post below. But I love your line about goals making us stretch not break. That's so important to remember.

    ReplyDelete