Monday, April 1, 2013

Write For RPG, Pass Go, Collect 200 Nerd Points

I've been sitting on several secrets, but today I finally get to tell one! And I cannot begin to tell you how freaking excited I am to be involved in this on any level.

I get to be a writer for Torment: Tides Of Numenera! It's an RPG (role playing game), which if you don't know is kind of like a book as video game. RPGs follow specific characters, they have a storyline, they are my favorite kind of game hands down.

So when Adam Heine approached me about the possibility of joining this team many months ago, of course I jumped at the chance. Even though I had no idea what the project was at the time. Or if I'd actually end up on the team. I mean, teen-me had often dreamed of writing or designing for an RPG—how could I pass up even the smallest chance? I knew it might be a long shot, but I'm in publishing and very used to long shots.

InXile began their Kickstarter for Torment: Tides Of Numenera almost a month ago, and it was the record breaking earner on the site until that pesky Veronica Mars movie came along. When I saw the Torment art and read about the concept I couldn't help but salivate. This is the kind of game I feel privileged to be involved with. It is deep and character-based and full of potential awesomeness. Not only that, but I'll get to work with incredibly talented writers. Like, um, Patrick Freaking Rothfuss. For reals. Whenever I think about this game I have to restrain myself from squealing.

So yay! The news is out! If you feel like donating to the Kickstarter, there are some pretty awesome rewards. And if not, that's cool, too. But the game only gets better and better the more they have to invest in it. I can't wait to see it all come together.

23 comments:

  1. *muppet flails*

    CONGRATULATIONS!! This is beyond epic. You win life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Patrick Rothfuss, wow! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOOHOO!!! What amazing news! Congrats Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool to fulfill one of your big dreams with this! I've never played a role-playing game before. On the bucket list. :-) Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so made of win it's epic. EPIC WIN.

    I am in awe. I've a backer of this game, and I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's so awesome! How very exciting for you! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! Such incredible news...You, my dear, are living your dream. *launching confetti canons*

    ReplyDelete
  8. On behalf of little geekish girls everywhere...
    ~*warms up voice*~
    OMG I HATE LOVE YOU WISH IT WERE ME BUT GOOD LUCK NONETHELESS LET ME HAVE YOU'RE AUTOGRAPH SOMEDAY AND I CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY THIS
    and what not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Any relation to the RPG from a thousand years ago set in Sigil? I loved that game. It was beautifully done. Anyway, I am enormously jealous. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophia, if you mean Torment Planescape, then yes:)

      Delete
    2. Torment: Tides of Numenera is a spiritual successor, so no Planescape Universe (WotC not licensed it).
      Here are some reasons:
      https://torment.uservoice.com/forums/192236-torment-kickstarter/suggestions/3737288-explain-why-the-planescape-licensing-deal-with-wot

      So, the new Tormentgame will be a heavy storytelling game like Planescape: Torment was, but not in the Planescape Universe.

      Delete
    3. Wintermute has given you a more specific answer. Much of the same team is creating the new game, but different story/world. So it is related in tradition.

      Delete
  10. Wow. What a fun opportunity! I'm so glad for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jealousy Rages. And HUGE props to you! That's so amazing. My husband just graduated with a degree in computer game design, so your nerd points are HIGHLY valued here. Good luck and congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Coolest. Thing. Ever. Huge congrats, Natalie!

    ReplyDelete