Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Contest: Revenge of the Five Words!

Welcome to Day 2 of The Week of Contests, Games, and PRIZES!!!

Later today I will be announcing the winner of Into The Wild Nerd Yonder, but I wanted to get the next contest posted asap because it might take you some time (not to mention guts) to enter this baby.

So for the past couple months you have been inflicting me with five difficult words, words I've had to use while writing a continuing story.

It's time for revenge. *insert evil cackle here*

Rules:
Use the following five words in a piece of short fiction. Word limit is 333 words, just because I like 3. The story can be about anything, so long as it's PG and within the limit. One entry per person.

Words:
sociolinguistics
fustigate
defenestrate
katana
lenticular

(Yes, I'm evil. Mwahaha.)

Prizes:
First Place: Choice of a 30-page critique, query/synopsis critique, or full color drawing.
Second Place: Choice of a 20-page critique, query/synopsis critique, or full color drawing.
Third Place: Choice of a 10-page critique, query critique, or black and white drawing.

Deadline:
Contest is open until Thursday, May 6th, at Midnight, MST. Winners will be announced Friday. Please email entries to natalie@nataliewhipple.com. I will confirm receiving your entry.

I wish you luck. You'll probably need it.

28 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Gosh. YES. I love it. I will find time to enter. You're going in my contests sidebar. Right now. (Can you tell I'm excited? I'm using tiny, and sometimes incomplete sentences to convey how awesome this is. :P)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time to bust out the old dictionary... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. cannot. resist. challenge. GO GO GO!

    Awesome, can't wait to get mine sent in!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, I just saw contest and write, and I'm sayin yes. Haven't even looked at the words yet :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having looked at the words, I'm loving katana. Being in Japan is an unfair advantage. Not only do I have katana at my disposal, I also have a holiday tomorrow. MUAHAHAHA!

    Now, to figure out what the heck the others mean!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always up for a challenge...and this is a good one. Count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay, this looks awesome!

    Quick question. Do we have to use the words as is, or can we change their tenses? Like can I say defenestrated or does it have to be defenestrate?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! You are evil or maybe just particularly good at paybacks! I'm off to find my dictionary. . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. Valerie, yes, you can use other tenses if need be:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good grief! LOL, that's quite a challenge... :P I suppose that's expected though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great challenge Natalie! Now, where's my dictionary?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am in!

    Question: do we have to use the word in the exact tense shown, or are we allowed to use past tense, or turn one of the nouns into a verb?

    Like, defenestrate. Do we have to use the word exactly like that, or can I say "defenestrated"?

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Elizabeth, I would prefer you not nominalize, but changing tenses is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I must admit I thought I would never come up with anything for this...and then after I looked up the definitions, the idea came to mind. Absurd, yes, but I think it's going to be fun! Thanks for posting this--I'm anxious to get this story written once work is over :)

    Now the real challenge comes in keeping it under the word limit :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow that IS evil...hmmm...Imma see what I can come up with...

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow, those are some fun words. Payback time, ha ha! Are you going to post the winners?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sara, the winner will be posted on Friday, as well as their entries:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh boy, this is going to be interesting. I'm going to try, but I can't promise that the story won't be completely absurd. It should be fun to write!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a fun contest. I'll see what I can come up with...after googling all those words :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. LOL! Those are great word choices for action. Must. Not. Be. Tempted. Out. Of. Revisions.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Natalie,

    I don't mean to be pesty, but this Thursday is the 6th, not the 8th. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ha! Thanks, Emily. I was, uh, looking at my April calendar still. Oops.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm looking forward to attempting this!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome. Thanks for the challenge. It's nice to be pushed every now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a great contest, Natalie! Those are some hard words...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Holy Brown Cows, I just went and looked at your art at DeviantArt and you are so good! I'm seriously impressed. I was thinking I would do this contest just for the challenge, but now I'm feeling pressure because I'd really like to actually win. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh my. Too fun, congrats to the future winner! What a brilliant, writerly idea for a contest.

    ReplyDelete