Tuesday, September 14, 2010

7 Ways to Improve Your Blog's Readability

I've talked about this before, but it bears repeating, I think. Of course content is the most important part of a blog post, but as a former typographer I'd like to argue that the appearance of that post plays a big role in how likely it is to be read. You could have the most interesting post in the world, but if it's all in one long, centered paragraph people might skip right over it.

I know most people read blogs in readers these days. It "doesn't matter" what your blog looks like. Yes and no. As far as design, I'd say that maybe that doesn't matter as much, but the format of your posts still largely translates to a reader. Below are 7 tips on improving readability (or the ease of reading text), many of which still apply in a reader.

1. Font
There's nothing like an overwhelming font to scare off a reader. I don't see it often, but there's still a few using unruly fonts. The "fun fonts" are for titles, headings, etc—not for body text. For max readability, your body text should be simple, not bold, italic, script, etc. Some argue over whether or not it should be serif or sans serif online, but I'm not on either side. Most screens have high enough resolution now to properly display serifs.

2. Left Justified
I know centered might look fancy, but I promise it interferes with readability. We're not used to reading long texts centered (or right justified). For a caption under a photo, sure it works, just not the entire post. The standard for English body text is left justified, and you can get away with full justified if you don't like the jagged edge (though that annoys some people due to the uneven spacing between words).

3. Length
Not that I'm one to talk, but blog posts shouldn't get too long. And if they do you should take measures to help ease the lengthy text (headings, lists, paragraphing, etc.). Blogs are different from magazines or books in that it's almost more like reading a scroll. It's one long page, and if a reader sees a really long scroll they might skip over it unless that article is particularly useful to them.

I won't recommend word counts or whatever, but for me I look for how far it reaches down my sidebar items. If I hit my labels or archive, I know I'm getting really long. But sometimes if I have a lot of pictures and that doesn't matter as much.

4. Text/Background Color
Not as important for google reader and such, but it still makes a big impact on people visiting your blog. Light background and darker text is just easier to read. I won't tell you to go white background and gray text or anything so rigid, but that contrast is important for max readability.

5. Paragraphing
While books can get away with long paragraphs, blogs can't as much. The audience is different. People reading blogs are looking for a quicker read, and long paragraphs bog that down fast. Your eyes naturally get tired following line after line with no pause—it takes more work to keep track. The more breaks, the easier it is on the eyes (you know, without chopping it up to all one liners).

6. Headings
If you are writing a longer post in particular, it's usually helpful to break up the information under different headings. It's almost like a chapter break, but in shorter form. It helps the reader organize the information you present and makes it less overwhelming.

7. Lists
People love lists. When looking for quick information, lists are the best. Take this post, for example. If someone didn't have time to read everything, they could at least read the list I've presented and get the gist of what I'm saying. If they want to read more under a particular number that might apply to them, then they can. Fast, accessible information for the win.


So there you have it—7 tips guaranteed to improve readability. I know it may not seem important, but you'd be surprised how helpful it is to have a well-formatted blog. Readers already have little time as it is, and you don't want to give them any excuse to skip over you.

31 comments:

  1. The big no-no for me in reading other people's blogs is huge chunks of text not broken up into paragraphs. I can't skim and pick out the important stuff and my eyes glaze over.

    Unless I really, really like the blogger I tend to give up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fairy, oh, me too. I think that one is still a major offender, though most blogs have improved greatly in readability over the past few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the post. Very informative and something I can use in my own posts. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice. I'm not a big fan of dark background with light font color because it really stings my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks. I like the list thing. I have started using pictures to draw people in. Any thoughts on that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tips. I'm with Candyland - dark background and light font is so hard to read!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dr. Goose, I'm not anti-pictures at all. I do think people can go overboard, but most of the time a few pictures don't hurt:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Personally, I go for posts with squiggly backgrounds full of hearts and zooming stars...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pictures of cats seem especially popular.

    Mind, it helps if your blog is partly about cats, I suppose!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I used a blog template when I started up as I didn't have the time to think of/create a layout of my own (still don't have the time, unfortunately, to change it). It meets your checklist for the most part, but does this negatively impacts readers? Or even those that casually glance at blog posts?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amen on all counts!

    Especially on the dark background/light text thing. Sometimes I won't bother trying to read a blog like that--it's just too hard on the eyes.

    I think all 7 of your tips go back to the simple concept of make reading your blog easy and enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list (I love lists). I tried keeping the readability factor in mind when starting my blog recently.

    Easy on the eyes is definitely important to me as my sight isn't what it used to be. The dark background/light or fluorescent text thing is tough, as is tiny font size.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love lists! And I definitely agree with the "easy on the eyes." I won't even read the blog if it's annoyingly colored or the font's too small. I think simple is best, but with your own twist :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel like a serif font for body text improves readability. Especially since you can't predict the screen resolution of your visitors. Sans serif fonts get skinny and "spacey" the higher the resolution gets. The serifs help lead the reader from one word to the next. Just an opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yes, Tobias, that is one side of the argument. The other side is that serifs on computer screens look "fuzzy" and decrease readability (as opposed to increasing on paper, which they certainly do).

    Once again, I'm in the middle on this argument. I don't think it's make or break as long as it's clean. No reason to stress the average person out over typography debates:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great tips! I especially agree with #2. My eyes are trained to read left justified. Anything else takes too much work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Excellent info Natalie. I agree especially with #4!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I try so hard to write shorter blog posts, but I can't make myself do it! Fortunately I'm a big fan of headings and lists :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your posts are long. No denying it. But I find you do a good job of breaking it up.

    I have another friend who doesn't, and the truth is, I often scan his blog rather than actually reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post! I just started my blog and most of the advice I found concentrates on content not appearance. You really helped me, so thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for the reminders! I needed to hear them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great tips. Especially about the length of the post and breaking up the paragraphs. I tend not to read super long blog posts because I want to try to get to as many as I can in the little time I have.

    ReplyDelete
  23. nice list! i read everything :) and i like lists too :) haha have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. All that you say in your post agrees with my opinions. Feeling a bit churlish now, but, um, the background of your blog makes me not want to stay here. Everyone is different, of course--and the artwork is inoffensive, but something about the way the text sliding over the artwork, or maybe my eyes moving down the text--I don't know what it was, but it's very nerve-wracking. I feel bad saying this, but thought you might want to have a different opinion.

    Like the others, I don't like black backgrounds with gray or with too many bright/bold subheads.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Let's see...yes x 7. There's so much people can do to increase the blogging experience for their readers.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This was so helpful Natalie!
    Ahm I have a question...*blush* How can I enter the order of the blog ninja? I just LOVED the sticker, and I love martial arts.
    Oh and you have a lovely blog here,lady!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Clara, the Blog Ninja button is from my friend Carrie Harris (link in sidebar). If you're looking to get in, she's the one to win over:)

    ReplyDelete
  28. You are a fantastic and GREAT blogger. Your tips were really awesome, and I think I will be using em some.

    Another thing I would go on about is that when I see a picture on my dashboard for a blog post, I'm most likely to look at it first. I guess pictures are just cooler?

    ReplyDelete