Ever since Stephanie Perkins shared her "Love List" idea with the Happy Writers Society, I have written one for every novel when I start to get that niggling doubt and think, "Is this book any good?" My love lists have helped me see that I do like what I'm writing, even if it's not perfect in the drafting phase. It helps me learn what I might want to highlight in the book. It reminds me that writing should be fun, even if it's also work.
So, today I need to write out a love this for Reaper, my current work in progress. It's been slow going, but I have promised myself that I will finish it. These are the things I love about it so far:
• Writing a dead girl
• Creating my own version of the "underworld"
• Personifying Death
• Allowing myself to make this world just plain weird
• A friendship on shaky ground
• Enemies turned allies...maybe
• Barbie-sized zombies and other creepy monsters
• Regrets, what ifs, missed opportunities
• Second chances
• Dreadmares, scythes, and black cloaks
• Really good pizza