Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy Writers: One Thing Never Changes

Happy Friday, everyone! Boy, has this been a topsy turvy week. I have been all over, but I wanted to quickly hold an HWS meeting.

Have I mentioned I'm writing yet another book?

Uh, yeah, I am. So what if I have, like, way too many books? Here I am writing more, because if there's one thing I've learned through all this publishing stuff is that it's always, always about the book. No matter where you're at on the authorial road, that does not change.

I know sometimes it may not seem like that. Sometimes it feels like it's about what sells and what's popular. Sometimes it feels like it's about who is "in" and who isn't, or like networking is the be all end all. Sometimes it feels like the book is the absolute last thing this is about.

Of course that's not true. As easy as it is to get sucked into everything, it always comes back to the book. Your book. That is the most important thing you can work on. It is the what will get you an agent. It is what will get you published. It is what people will read and love and hopefully want more of.

Your book is everything. And your next book, too.

Whenever I feel rotten, I go back to my books. Those stories—they're the reason I'm here in the first place, and when I put them first everything else falls into place, my mood included.

13 comments:

  1. And the more great stories you write, the more likely one will get published! Good luck with the new book and enjoy the ride!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some reason your post reminded me of the fish in FINDING NEMO that sings "just keep swimming...swimming...swimming..." except now I want to sing "just keep writing...writing...writing..."

    ReplyDelete
  3. "when I put them first everything else falls into place, my mood included."

    Me too! Thanks for the reminder. :)

    Have a safe & happy holiday weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it possible to have too many books?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Donna is correct--we can never have too many books, write too much, or eat too much chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And the book is the thing that is the most rewarding about the whole process. As wonderful as some of the frills can be, the book is still the best part.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whenever I read too many doomsy blogs about e-publishing destroying the world, or how no good books will ever be printed because everything is corrupt in the system, or how all that matters is your platform and no one cares what the heck the book is about...I come here.

    Your posts let me breathe.

    It's about the book.

    Yes, I agree. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stories *deep sigh* make me happy. Trying to figure out what the market is going to do does not. I'd much rather write than speculate. Otherwise, I get slightly neurotic.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're so right! It's like breathing fresh air to remember it. Thank you for sharing your wonderful thoughts! =D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for your post! I feel uplifted and inspired! *runs back to my story with open arms*

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's awesome you're working on another book! I wish I had as many ideas as you do. :) I need to work on mine again...writing has kind of been forgotten about while taking care of a newborn. Hopefully I can get back to it soon!

    ReplyDelete