Friday, September 16, 2011

Happy Writers: YOU

Yesterday a package came from Japan. It was full of AWESOMENESS, with a simple letter of congratulations from the lovely Claire Dawn. Claire has followed my blog for a long time, and her excitement about TRANSPARENT selling has meant so much.

Claire is just one of many bloggers who've brightened my day. I know sometimes it doesn't seem like a comment or tweet can do much, but I can't tell you how many much-needed smiles you've given me these last three years.

A lovely reader named Bethany sent me an article on Yumiko Oshima the other day, and I was so excited to learn that her art is the origin of the kitty ears anime trope. Now I'm determined to hunt down The Star of Cottonland.

You have recommended anime to me. I found Fruits Basket, Ouran High School Host Club, Hikaru No Go, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Bleach, Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit, and so many more from YOU.

You send me links that made you think of me, and I'm always very pleased when they are about ninjas or cartoons or cupcakes, and everything else, too.

You have sent me thoughtful emails of encouragement and thanks and just plain kindness. These have helped me get through the hardest of times.

You have taken time to read this blog, which is sometimes silly, cheesy, and even melodramatic.

You have spread the word about my contests, ENTERED my contests, and been so gracious whatever the outcome. And to the winners, you have shared your words with me, and I do a little dance every time I hear of your successes.

You guys, out there in blog land, constantly make me happy to be a writer, to be part of this community. That any of you would take the time out to be kind to a stranger (because, really, I am one to so many of you) says volumes. You are wonderful, and you have been a big part of my journey thus far. I hope it never changes.

20 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to ask you, well, since I first discovered your blog... if you've ever seen the animated show, 'Cybersix'? They never sold on dvd, but you can find it on VHS and it is awesome :) The art has a wonderfully unique style (the show is based off a Portuguese by the same name).

    Also, you must read 'Nightschool' by Svetlana Chmakova, a manga-style/crossover from a North American artist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow, never type a message when you're overtired (dyslexia sucks). Sorry for all the errors and missed words in there, but it should still be readable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No worries, Monkey! And I am so excited about anime leaking into North American style—so I will have to check that out:) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I come here for anime recommendations. You've gotten me hooked. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely to read this, I am helped along the way too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's surprising how the connections we make along the line in our blogs come back to us in ways like this, isn't it?

    @monkey: I remember that one...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you read Bizenghast? It's spooky and funny and beautifully drawn and I would give it infinite thumbs up if I had enough thumbs.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel hugged, and I haven't even done any of those things. (Yet. Just found your blog in the Campaign.)

    Thank you. You deserve it all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a lovely post, as it documents beautifully and genuinely the perks of being a writer in the blogosphere. I am constantly struck by the sense of community you have illustrated here with your words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Hello Kitty bag! I'd suggest you read/watch Death Note but I hate it right now. :( Something bad happened to my favorite character. Congrats Natalie~

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Erika Loggin

    I've read Bizenghast :) ...just one more book till it's over, right? I love the art in it... but I feel like it's been forever waiting for Vol 8 to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful post, and sometimes it's hard in blog land when people don't comment, but you have some nice followers here :-) cheers

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great post! I love your blog because you share both your trials and low points and your OPTIMISM with me. Sometimes I just really need it--and I look forward to Happy Writers every Friday like I do my morning cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aww, thanks. We really appreciate you though and how candid and down-to-earth you are. I don't know how many times I've read a blog post of yours that really inspired me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. There could never ever be a better thank you note!

    ReplyDelete
  16. William Kendall was correct; I feel the same way. Through blogging I have connected with a variety of writers of all genres.

    ReplyDelete
  17. so have we. i am currently limited to one hand cause i broke my arm, but...come enjoy Pirate Alphabet starring some of your favorite authors and illustrators.
    http://thepenandinkblog.blogspot.com/2011/09/acetone-and-alcohol-birth-of-pirate.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness, what great followers/friends you have!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post, Natalie. The blogosphere is full of great people, isn't it? :)

    ReplyDelete