Friday, January 27, 2012

Happy Writers: Having Fun

My new favorite title in all existence. (via @sarahlapolla) Makes me SO HAPPY.

So it's been awhile since I've done a Happy Writers Society post. It wasn't that I was UNhappy, but I guess lately I've felt like I've covered many topics and I was having trouble coming up with new ones.

Actually, I've been a really happy writer lately! I almost feel guilty about how much I've been enjoying my work. Sometimes it feels like maybe I'm doing it wrong if I'm having fun. Of course that's not true, but you get that sense at times. We should be suffering for our art. It should be hard always.

I don't think so, honestly. I think we slog through the rough parts because we know how great the good times are. When we're having a good time? Dude, I say ENJOY it to its fullest. And, yeah, maybe other people will be offended by your happiness, but that really says more about them than you. I've had to learn about that lately, the whole not letting other people stop me from being happy with what I have.

So I'll admit it—I'm having FUN right now! I've been through a lot of hard stuff, and it makes this part all the sweeter. I've turned in revisions. I have another project I love to clean up. AND I have a new story I've just started writing. Things are flowing. I'm feeling really good about my work for the first time in...oh...two years? I want to hold on to this feeling as long as I can, because I know the darker ones are always lurking.

Have fun with your writing. I know it can be hard when writing becomes tangled up in the pursuit of publishing, but try not to let go of writing and what it gives you. Treasure the good moments. Don't waste them in worrying about what might come next.

11 comments:

  1. 3 things:

    1) You're dang right sister; have a good time--in anything you do. Just makes things easier.

    2) That red and black sweater needs its own closet. Maybe its own store. Maybe its own country...

    3) Is that the bad guy from The Karate Kid? (aka Johnny)

    Great post, and never forget to sweep the leg. :)

    EJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. About that whole brooding, I-suffer-for-my-art thing. Since I'm not making any money off of the hours of my life I dedicate to writing (at least not yet), the least I can expect is to have fun doing it. And yeah, even when it sucks because the ending just isn't coming to me or the scene is going all completely nowhere, it's still way more fun than other things I have to do.

    And that book title is freakin' great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going through a rough patch right now and this is just what I needed to hear. I just have to understand that there will be a time, hopefully soon, that I get to that giddy,exciting, fist-pumping moment again. That cover/title also helped cheer me up. Thanks.:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. And that cover is something else, too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I especially love that it's a devotional. Snert.

    As for you, keep on keeping on! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Treasure the good moments...there should be a sign that says this above my desk.

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to hear that your happy. And excellent advice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, definitely seize those happy moments! We say this a lot at my job (where we deal with psych patients) "Don't let anyone steal your joy." It's definitely a decision.

    And yes, as anguishing as it can be to be in the middle of writing, there is no feeling greater than HAVING WRITTEN.

    Glad things are going well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my writing partners just finished a huge project and she said today that she's decided to focus on exploratory stuff just to have fun writing again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There are books that change lives and then there are books that alter history. Anybody Can be Cool is neither of those. So why do I still want it?

    ReplyDelete
  11. For a moment, I wondered from the thumbnail if the guy on the cover was John Tesh...

    As I've gotten close to the end of my work, I've really been having fun writing.

    ReplyDelete