Monday, January 16, 2012

January Is A Beast

Writing is a funny profession. You can go months with nary a whisper of anything happening, and then all of the sudden about 10 things are dumped in your lap at once. I'm not complaining about this, it just seems to be the nature of the job.

January has been one of those months for me. On the writing front alone, I've had two books to edit, two proposals for my option to prepare, a new blog to launch, and that whole crazy reading challenge I got myself into. Throw in school troubles for Dino Boy, a particularly naughty Ninja Girl streak, and typical pregnancy fatigue, and wow, I'm still trying to figure out how I made it through the last two weeks.

But at least I've been making progress! I finished edits on SIDEKICK last week, so now I only face the behemoth that is TRANSPARENT. It's weird, how small edits can take so long to enter. I mean, we are to the point that it's a cut there, a word change there, but you have to consider each one and it takes up a lot of time. Other Life Things have to be shifted around for a little bit while this work stares me in the face (Like giving up Korean Dramas. *sniff*).

I think that's why it gets harder and harder for me to answer the question, "How do you find balance?" Honestly? I don't. The best I can do is prioritize what needs to get done and do it in a timely fashion. I'm not sure writing has ever been much about "balance." It's more like triage—you do what's most pressing first and work down the line, hoping you didn't miss something vital along the way.

The one thing that has changed for me throughout the years, though: I no longer see writing tasks as The Most Important Thing Always. It used to come first over all aspects of my life, and that really messed me up. I still get my work done, but now I have the right perspective. I can see that sometimes it's more important to get my kids out of the house. Or it's more important to make a nice meal for my husband to take to work. Or it's more important to be there for a friend.

So while January has been a crazy whirlwind this far, I'm managing just fine. I'm happy I can say this, because I think a month like this would have ripped me to shreds a couple years back.

12 comments:

  1. Strangely enough, I think you've hit on exactly what 'balance' is: prioritizing and perspective. Funny how balance still feels chaotic somtimes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it comes to prioritizing, a friend once advised me to focus on the work that had to be done right away; that way, it was easier to figure out where to begin and work my way from there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah, triage. Probably true. And not the worst thing, I don't think.

    Actually I just wrote a post at Writer Unboxed about how writers are jugglers. I think it offers a compromise POV between "balance" and "triage."

    Anyway, I'm glad you're in a better, healthier place with all this. It sounds like you're enjoying the ride now, even though it's no less crazy. And that's what matters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for your honesty, once again. I've given up trying to find balance...i'm just doing my best and trying to feel okay with where I am when I put my head down on the pillow at night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I'm not sure writing has ever been much about "balance." It's more like triage"

    *knowing chuckle* It's funny because it's true ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's either feast or famine in this business!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it when there's more to do. It seems to feed into my creativity, and I'm more productive overall. Just so long as those things are what I "want" to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had your hands full! It never ceases to amaze me that it is in these busy times that I am the most successful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Checking out the new blog now. LOOOVE the title (13's my favourite number) and completely looking forward to the release of TRANSPARENT :}

    As always, your posts remind me why I'm so determined to keep at it. Back to my revisions and back to my New Year's goal of getting back to regular blogging.

    ...that's a lot of backs XD

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very true. I was shocked when the dr. told me was blood pressure was too LOW the other day. Maybe stress is followed up by apathy?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a published author with two little ninjas too, so can't help but follow! Good luck with getting thru the rest of January!:))

    ReplyDelete