Thursday, April 12, 2012

Happy Writers: Embrace That You Are Doing Something Hard

It's been awhile since we've had a Happy Writers meeting, hasn't it? I'm sorry. Sometimes I go dry on topics, and March was particularly dry for lots of reasons. But I'm trying to get back into the swing of things! So let's enjoy the meeting and the clubhouse and the cupcakes.

Mmm, cupcakes.

A couple weeks ago I was talking to my sweet little sister, who is in grad school and also engaged. Her life is kind of crazy right now, and so of course she is having those mental struggles that come with that. She was video chatting with my mom about how hard school was, how she didn't think she could do it, how everything just seemed impossible.

I happened to be in the room, and my heart just lurched for her because I knew where she was coming from. I don't know if it made any difference for her, but it did for me when I said, "You are doing something hard. They don't call it grad school for nothing. But that doesn't mean you can't succeed or that your failures will spell disaster."

The idea hit me in that "Duh!" place after I said it. Having perspective on my sister's plight was easy enough from the outside, and we are all immensely proud of her because she is the first of my siblings to even go to grad school. I don't think I could have done it. I decided fairly quickly that undergrad was enough for me.

But it's harder to remember that you are doing something intended to be difficult when you are smack in the middle of it. I'm sure my sister looks at her fellow students and sees them doing well or having an easy time, much like I thought many of my aspiring writer friends had it easier than me while I was querying and on submission. It's so easy to forget that you are doing something intended to be hard, and that in and of itself is a bold and amazing thing.

Publishing is hard. Plain and simple. Writing a book is hard. Querying is hard. Submission, debuting, maintaining a successful writing career with all its sacrifices—these are all hard things to do. Honestly, I don't think a single part of this job was designed to be easy. The more I've learned, the more I know that for sure.

So when you crash into a road block or fail in some way, don't forget that you are trying to accomplish something difficult. I've failed so many times at this writing thing it's kind of ridiculous. I have almost a dozen trunked manuscripts. It took me 4 rounds in the query trenches to find an agent to take me on (nearly 200 queries!), and even then I spent 9 months editing for that agent before the official offer. When I finally managed to get on submission to editors, my first book failed for 15 long months. Then my agent left the business, and I had to get used to a new one. Then I went on sub for a second time and finally sold a book. This all took about 5 years.

That's a lot of fail, guys, let's be honest. And when you are going through all that stuff it's so, so easy to take it out on yourself. To decide you must suck. To feel like it'll never happen. To want to give up. To wish you had never started.

It's also easy to forget that you are doing something hard, especially when it looks easy for other people. You see other writers getting agents and deals and blurbs and glowing reviews left and right, and it can be tempting to think that they never had a difficult time trying to publish. Well, that's just not true. In my 5 years of pursuing publishing, I have never met a writer who hasn't struggled. They may hide it well online, but that doesn't mean they don't face the same harrowing path as the rest of us.

Take comfort in this truth: You are doing something hard.

In a world where it seems as if we're almost encouraged to take the easy way out, you are doing something to challenge yourself. You are pushing yourself, improving yourself and your craft. You are trying to achieve something that is no easy feat. Even if you stumble or struggle or take forever to get there, take pride in your courage and strength, even when it feels like you have none.

Because this whole writing thing is supposed to be hard, and once you accept that it's much easier to continually find the joy in the process.

23 comments:

  1. I NEEDED this today. Thank you. I've been feeling discouraged of late about my writing. This is just what I needed to hear.

    Writing IS hard. So, I guess, it's okay if it takes a while.

    Courage and Strength! My new mantra.

    Thanks, Natalie, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great post! I've read a few of these reminders lately and I really needed them. Writing is HARD. When I forget that, I get unduly impatient with myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, thank you, THANK YOU for this post. You're right. It is hard: but we can't not do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, such good things. Thank you Natalie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As I try to finish book 2 for my editor, this is exactly what I needed to hear. It feels so much more difficult than the first, but I think that's because I'm in the middle of it! Thanks Natalie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a really good post, Natalie. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog posts are always so inspiring, ^_^. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Natalie. This post is both inspiring and helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So, it's not just my imagination! Thanks. This was spot-on. I thought maybe I just wasn't grasping the whole writing thing as I should.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this encouraging and timely post, Natalie. This business IS hard! It's freeing to say that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Okay, I'm climbing back out from under the covers. I needed this post. Every rejection that follows a query letter should be looked at as an opportunity? I say turn 'em over and print on the back - recycle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is what I needed to hear. You are fantastic, and also inspiring. Like the Little Engine that Could "I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!"

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh thank you for that encouragement! It IS hard! I keep feeling like I’m straining to get up to the top of a little rise, just so I can see what’s next, and if I do that enough times, I’ll eventually get to where I’m going…. But it is hard!
    ~Aidyl
    www.aidylewoh.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. There isn't a part of this process that is easy. Thanks for the reminder that we're not in it alone.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Writing seems to be the easier part for me. It is the pushing myself to publish that is hard.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for this post, Natalie, it's much needed at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post, Natalie. I love it. It's so true and so easy to forget. You made my week better by posting this. Thank you, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you! You rock. I really needed to hear that writing is hard, but can be joyful if you remember it's supposed to be hard. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. One of my favorite quotes ever comes from the movie A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN... Tom Hanks is talking to one of his players, and she's all, "It just got too hard!" His response: "It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everybody would do it. The hard is what makes it great!"

    Thanks for the post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Another good post. It's a bit daunting, but only if we focus on the long road ahead of us. I think it's much better to focus on what's at hand. At least I find more personal success that way.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You know Natalie, your road to a book deal was really hard. I mean REALLY hard. And I know that you felt deflated from time to time but you never gave up. Your perseverance is a lesson to us all! You are amazing girl! A-MAY-ZING!

    (This is JaneyV BTW. I'm tentatively sticking my toes back into the blogsphere using the name I hope one day to be my "author" name. It's my maiden name.)

    ReplyDelete