Thursday, July 25, 2013

You Might Be BLINDSIDED By This News

I have a confession to make. While I've always been totally cool with TRANSPARENT being a standalone novel, the truth is there's been more to the story in my mind since I wrote it. And you know what? I was okay not writing the rest of it, especially when my publisher didn't express interest in a sequel. Because I've heard how hard it is to write a sequel, and I promised myself I wouldn't ever write one unless I knew I'd get paid for it.

And that's how it was. How I figured it'd always be. The end.

So in January 2013 when I got an email from my UK publisher, Hot Key Books, asking if I'd be interested in writing a sequel to TRANSPARENT...well, let's just say "mind blown" is an accurate descriptor. The crew at Hot Key Books have been some of Fiona's biggest supporters since TRANSPARENT sold in the UK. They said they loved Fiona and her world so much they really wanted to see more if I had it.

I honestly couldn't believe it at first. I've spent so much of my writing career feeling like I was begging people to buy my work—and here a publisher who had already been so kind to me was now asking me to write more for them.

Of course I said YES.

And then I wrote up a detailed synopsis of what I envisioned for the sequel. Hot Key said they loved it and wanted to buy it like now and can I get them a first draft by August? To which I happily and somewhat naively agreed.

Now I finally get to tell you:

Natalie Whipple's BLINDSIDED, the sequel to her debut novel TRANSPARENT, to Sara O'Connor at Hot Key Books by Ginger Clark at Curtis Brown (World English). 

If you've been following me on Twitter, you have probably seen my stressed tweets about a mysterious WIP that I've been laboring over for the last six or so months. Well, that novel is BLINDSIDED! It has lived up to the hard-to-write sequel stereotype, but I am currently editing the first draft I finished up a few weeks ago.

So if you have wished there was a sequel to TRANSPARENT, yay you now have one to read! And if you were happy that it was a standalone, well, you can go along pretending it is. I'm totally fine with that. Though you might miss out on meeting the infamous Spud, just sayin'.

And what's even better? BLINDSIDED will be coming out in January 2014! Yes, just six months away! No waiting a year plus for a sequel here. It will be available in English worldwide, all at the same time, so no one is left behind.

I'm so excited, and I'd like to take a second to thank Hot Key for their faith in Fiona and her stories. It has been such a pleasure to work with them both on TRANSPARENT and now on BLINDSIDED. I couldn't ask for a more enthusiastic team. They make me wish I could move to England and go to all the parties they keep inviting me to.

30 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! What great news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so exciting!! Congrats! Can't wait to read!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me so happy I could burst. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy sequel, Batman!!! I absolutely LOVED Transparent - the characters, the story, the world. I will most definitely be excited to return back to it all. January cannot come soon enough! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. *happy dance*

    Well done, Hot Key Books!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay! I'm so glad you got to get that wonderful validation of you as a writer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! I read 'Transparent' about 3 weeks ago and really enjoyed it! Cant't wait for the sequel

    ReplyDelete
  8. MORE HOT BROTHERS YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

    ReplyDelete
  9. I already said this, but it bears saying again: YAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!!! Cannot wait to "see" Fiona again. And the hot brothers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah mazing! That's terrific news!! Can't wait!! And congrats on the news!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats!! :) 2 books to look forward to from you next year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's so exciting!! (For you and for us!) So freaking happy for you. (And for me. Did I mention how happy this makes ME? :))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations! I can't wait to read it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I saw that on Publisher's Marketplace this morning! I'm so happy for you, Natalie. I've been remiss at telling you how much I enjoyed Transparent. I'm so glad there will be another.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome! Congratulations! I've always been wary of sequels, but over the past year or so, I've realized how much more they can add to a story. Congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. YAY! A sequel! I'm so excited to read more of your awesome writing! CONGRATS.

    ReplyDelete
  17. More blueberry Pop-Tarts in our future! :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Good!!!! I was hoping you would write a sequel!!! Yay!!! Thank you, Hot Key Books!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations again! That's an amazing achievement, to get the offer and a whole book ready so quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay, Natalie! I'm so excited for you. I LOVED Transparent and kept thinking about Fiona and crew for like a week after I finished it, imagine what would happen to them next. Because obviously the story wasn't over yet. And now I get to read your ending, which I'm sure is going to be WAY BETTER than anything I've been making up in my own head. Crongrats!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahhhhh!!! Congratulations, Natalie! This is UBER exciting. Also, I love the title. So clever!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Is HarperTeen publishing it in 2014, or only the UK?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haley, my UK publisher, Hot Key is publishing the book in English worldwide! So it will be in the USA, but just published by a different imprint.

      Delete
  23. Yay! Congratulations! So happy for you and Fiona!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congrats Natalie! I'm so excited! Any idea on when Blindsided will be available for preorder?

    ReplyDelete