Friday, April 2, 2010

A Character. A Conference. A Contest.

1. A Character
I got in an artsy mood yesterday and decided I had to draw a certain character. I can't tell you who this character is, but she's freaking cool and I love her so much and I think about her way more than I should. Mostly, I wish I could pull off a faux hawk:

Hi, I'm a really cool character you're not allowed to know about. I like your hair like that—did you just wake up?


2. A Conference
So a funny thing happened—I agreed to present at a local conference! I know. What sane introvert who's had a public speaking fainting episode would do this? Well, I'm not sane. Also, Ally Condie will be there. I really want to meet her. Paramedics please stand by.

So if you're in the area and not attending Storymakers (which is the same day, gah!), come to the American Fork Arts Council Writers Conference. It might be small, but it packs a good bang for your buck!

Info:
American Fork Arts Council Conference for Writers
Saturday, April 24, 2010
9 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Location: American Fork Historic City Hall, 31 North Church Street (50 East)
To register call Lori at 801-763-3081.

PRICE: $29 or $40 after April 12. (If you register before April 12th, you are invited to a free Plot Shop the Friday night before. Also, there's a book included in that price.)

Lunch catered by Flour Girls & Dough Boys, $9 per person payable at morning registration.

Keynote Speakers:
Ginger Churchill, "What I Wish I had Known as a Beginning Writer"
Ally Condie, "My Journey to National Publication"
John D. Brown, "Aiming for National Publication"

Local Publishers: Deseret Book and Granite Publishing

There will be some great workshops for writers getting ready to put their work out there. I'll be presenting these: Crafting the Novel, Is Your Story Ready for Publication? How Do You Know?, Querying Agents and Publishers, Writing the Synopsis and Query, Marketing Yourself with a Blog.

If you're really lucky and my blood sugar is low, you might even get to see me faint, too. So. Exciting.

3. A Contest
My dear friend Michelle is having a rather fabulous short story contest. The prizes are great, and you have TWO months to enter! Go check it out. Man, for a $50 dollar gift card to the store of my choice, I may enter myself.

25 comments:

  1. Natalie, I love the look of your blog! This character seems pretty cool too. A bit mysterious, perhaps. :)

    That's awesome that you will be presenting at the conference. That's one of the things I hope to do one day because it sounds like a lot of fun. I hope you have a great experience. What will you be talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Davin, I have my topics (as in the post), but I am still working out what, exactly, I'll blather on about. Actually, I'm hoping people ask really good questions...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your sketch! The hair is fabulously done. :)

    Oh, I'm jealous. I wish I were in Utah so I could attend and meet both you and Ally Condie. Hope you'll have a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so awesome about your conference!

    And thank you for the shout out about my contest. I really really really hope you enter because I'd love to read some of your shorter work. Of course, I won't know it's yours until after all is said and done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You could totally pull off a faux-hawk!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving the mystery character's hair...and the expression on her face. I can just feel her cool vibe in that picture.

    Very awesome news about the conference! Unfortunately, Utah is a little too far for me. I'm sure it'll go just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Natalie, thanks for sharing your character and your plans for the conference. Amazing that you can write, draw and have the courage to talk at people.

    I really hope it goes well for you.

    Shameless promotion:

    Please visit my blog and comment today. I have a post by guest blogger Justine Dell where she shares an ACTUAL query letter of hers that found success.

    She is a wonderful lady, always willing to help another writer and I would really like her to get the recognition she deserves.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I gave your name to my writing teacher, Caleb. I am excited to hear from you at the conference. :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. That conference would be awesome. I went to high school with Ally Condie, so I knew her before she was famous. (That's pretty much my only claim to fame.) I'll have to look into coming up for that. I'm pretty sure you will do great.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the new character - she's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That sketch is so awesome - love the hair and there is so much character in her face. Also very awesome that your presenting at a conference. I'll be at Storymakers or I would have loved to see you. I've never heard of this conference though. Good luck - don't lock your knees during your speech.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the contest link, and I love that illustration! Your'e so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Would love to be at that conference, Natalie. Too bad I don't live in Provo anymore:(

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure you'll do great Natalie! I read your interview on Elana's blog the other day; it was very interesting and inspiring! Your book sounds great!

    I will be there for the morning part of the conference, and I went to school to be a nurse; so if you do pass out, I will try to make sure you're okay. ;-)

    It'll be fun to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cally—so you're the one to out me! Hehe. Can't wait to meet you.

    Sara—Oh, I feel so much safer now. Hopefully I'll be over my nerves by the afternoon:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Actually we went to HS together, so we've already met. But we'll re-meet, and it will be great.

    And Sara, i'm excited to hear from you there too. Now that you're officially too good for writing class, and I won't be seeing you anymore. :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cally, whaaaaaa? Wait. Wait a second. You can't just throw that out there and...ah! Why didn't you say anything sooner? I feel like such a heel!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the new character.
    Darn, I'd come see you at the conference your presenting at, but I'm scheduled at the Storymakers Conference. Doggone!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I want to meet Ally Condie too. I'm excited to read her upcoming book. Too bad I'm stuck way out here in SC;)

    Good luck with the public speaking. I don't faint, but I occassionally blush really bad, so much so that people ask me if I'm ok.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the green hair...and the camo background!

    ReplyDelete
  21. SO wish I could go to the conference!!

    And that drawing is awesome! I keep trying to guess who she might be...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wish my hair would do that too! A couple years ago I cut my hair spiky short, but I just couldn't pull it off. It was great for summer though.

    Good luck at the conference. You have so much knowledge about good writing that I bet your instincts will just kick in if you get nervous. Deep breathing before hand always helps too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Natalie - ha ha, I'm glad I could help you feel safer. It's probably a false sense of security, but anything that helps is good. ;-)

    Cally - hey now, don't make it sound like I'm a snob or something! lol! You know I'd keep coming if I could. But I'm excited to see everyone in April!

    Natalie again - don't mind me having a conversation with someone else on the comments of your blog. ;p

    ReplyDelete
  24. Great picture--- I'm glad I found someone else who draws their characters...makes me feel a little less crazy.

    Thanks for the shout out on the contest...you should start a contest on your blog soon.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your drawing of New Kewl Chick is gorgeous! I wanna know more!!!!

    ReplyDelete