Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Why I Love Writing: Creating

Note: The wonderful Sherry has interviewed me over at her blog. She asked great questions—go check it out.

I know for some writers opening a new blank Word doc is kind of freaky, but I love it! I love starting a new project, creating something that's never been made before (at least by me). I've always loved creating things—drawings, stories, quilts, gardens, outfits, recipes, etc. It just makes me happy, plain and simple.

So I love opening that fresh Word document. That blank slate is like an empty canvas, waiting to get painted on. I love typing in my tentative title, my name, and Chapter 1. I love when that first sentence comes to me.

I love love love the sound of my fingers tap tapping at the keyboard, watching the words fill that blank white page.

I always get nervous when I send that first little chapter off to my alphas, but their excited feedback propels me forward (or helps me know how to start over). I love how supportive they are about my new baby creation.

I love watching the word count grow as I build the world, plot, and characters. I absolutely LOVE when I hit 100 pages—it never stops feeling like an accomplishment. Nor does 200 pages. I also love hitting 50k, which seems like some official novel number. That's the part where I'm like, "Holy crap, I'm writing a BOOK."

I love being in creative mode, when I can do no wrong (though in the back of my head I already know things will need reworking). I love being free to just make a story. I love that I CAN make a story. Good or bad can wait—I'M CREATING HERE. Don't mess with my groove. I'm feeling the words. I'm letting this piece flow organically from my SOUL.

I probably would have made an awesome hippie.

I love finding awesome music that fits the mood of what I'm creating. I love cranking it up and feeling connected to something outside myself, and yet within me at the same time. I love feeling like the most creative person EVER, even if it's not true.

I love getting to The End. I love typing up the resolution to a story, sitting back, and looking at my new baby. Sure, she might be a little wrinkled, and her head's a bit wonky, but my goodness, she's ADORABLE. And I made her.

18 comments:

  1. Nice post! I just wish I had more time to write, but that's what I get for having three kids. Nice new homepage look, by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just left a long comment that got lost! Oh well. Try again. I'm impressed with your persistence (I read the Sherry Interview) to get an agent. In my day (I'm that old) one didn't need an agent. You could submit directly to any publishing house. The world has changed. The paying writing markets have died. The competition is severe. But you made it!! I'm impressed, and hope to read your novels in print. My favorite genre, next to memoir, is YA. My first novel, after all these years, is about to be published, an autobiographical novel. Now I'm trying to plot a YA one. It IS exciting to watch the words flow on the page--when they flow. I can tell by this post how much you love to write. You look and sound like you have incredible energy. You're one writer out there I want to follow, and wish you great success!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, the blank document isn't what scares me. The blank document is awesome, because it's mistake-free. It's once I start putting those words down that things become scary, and wrong, and "oh my god that's terrible should I fix it now or later aaaaahhhh".

    Yeah, clearly I don't have that first draft mentality down yet. But I'm working on it. Thanks for the encouragement! I keep referring back to your tweets from a couple weeks ago, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post! Love it! I'd say you've definitely found your groove in life. We should come up with your hippie name sometime. Anyways, this is my favorite part about writing. Everything you've said here is what I love most about this crazy journey I'm on. Well said, Natalie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This whole post is infused with joy. You nailed it, Natalie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, the joy of creating! May you experience that rush of energy through many, many books!

    Now to hop over to your interview ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep. First drafting is a total rush. I love doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep. The first draft is awesome. I like when the words just flow...and even when they don't, there's always a thread of something there.

    It's when I go back and edit that I cringe, although I know it has to be done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! Love the freedom of first drafts! I can use "was" and adverbs and "that" and crazy tags as much as I want. SO nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love opening Word and what it means to write. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. probably would have made an awesome hippie

    Ok, let me guess — orange bell-bottomed trousers, a tie-dyed bandana in the Subtly Ninja style, and a stick-on beard for plucking the nacho crumbs from your keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  12. And then that baby starts crying. "Revise me! Edit me!" And if you ignore her, she just screams louder. Then you start working, and she just grows and grows, not into a healthy mature book, but a bloated bag of fatty adverbs and run-on diapers. It makes you wonder why you conceived the stupid book in the first place. There are pills for that you know!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wonderful post!

    Thanks again for being such an open, honest, and fun guest on my blog.

    Your answers to my interview questions were an inspiration. Wish you every success. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun post! Beautifully written, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So true Natalie! I love when I reach my goals on my 1st draft! It's awesome! =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. A little random, haha, but the interview made me curious-- do you know your Meyers-Briggs personality type?

    ReplyDelete