Thursday, April 8, 2010

Pros and Cons of Character Sheets

If you've been following my Twitter feed, you know I've been trying out character sheets and whining a lot about it. But despite the whining, I have learned a lot from this experience. Sharing Time!

(Oh, for those of you who may not know what a character sheet is, it's essentially a questionnaire/interview about a character. I have been using this one, which is very thorough.)

Because I like to go negative first and finish positively, we'll be starting with Cons and then Pros.

CON: Takes MUCH Longer Than I Anticipated
When I first started, I thought that long character sheet wouldn't take me more than an hour or two. WRONG. My MC's took about 4-5 hours to finish! The secondary characters have been shorter, but still more than an hour.

That's a lot of time just for a character sheet, you know? I keep thinking I could be spending this time writing or outlining or playing Warcraft. Important things like that. And not even half this stuff will make it into the book! It easily feels like a "waste of time."

PRO: Character Revelations
I'll admit it—I've learned things! I already knew a lot about my characters individually, but the most unexpected aspect of this character sheet is how much it's revealed about how my characters relate to each other. Filling it out for my MC's mother, for example, taught me a lot about my MC that I hadn't thought in depth about.

The sheet has also helped me define my characters' key motivations. I feel like I understand better how they're connected, and I hope this will make my rewrite cleaner.

CON: Tedious...Okay, Down Right Boring
Filling out this character sheet four times (with at least four more to go) has not at all been fun. Maybe it's fun for some writers (and if so, lucky!), but I've had to force myself to get through these. It's like filling out doctor forms—you already know most of the information and you're just regurgitating it. Snore.

PRO: Plot Ideas
You know how ideas always show up when you're doing menial things like showers and dishes? Yeah, turns out that happens with character sheets too! I've had several plot ideas arise from the dullness, which I didn't expect to happen when focusing on characters. Maybe I should have known that, but I'm slow sometimes.

CON: Not For First Drafting (in my opinion)
I never filled out character sheets because I thought it was something you were supposed to do before you started writing a book. I'd tried, but I'd stare at the sheet and think, "I don't know! I haven't met them yet!"

If I'd filled out a sheet before I started writing this book, I know I would have gotten it all wrong. I would have just been making up answers. It would be like meeting a guy at the coffee shop and deciding you know everything about him just from one conversation.

What good is that?

The sheet has only been useful because I know my characters already, and this is helping me fill in the gaps/define them more. The character sheet, to me, is about revealing nuances, not creating a character.

PRO: Good Revision Tool
I think from now on I'll be filling out character sheets post rough draft. The extra boost in understanding has shown me where I went off track the first time when I was getting to know my book. And having it all written down will make a nice reference if I ever find myself forgetting.

CON: Still Could Be Wrong
Even knowing my characters so well, I'm aware that I could have gotten things wrong on this sheet. If I try and stick to the sheet, I could mess up my book again. It's not a sure thing, and I think one could risk being TOO faithful to it once you've taken the time to write it all down. I hope that I'll still be open to changes when I start rewriting.

PRO: Looking Outside Your MC
I think especially if you're writing in first person, a character sheet (even a short version) would be very helpful in making your secondary characters more 3-D. I've found I usually see people how my MC sees them when I write in first (which is most of the time), but my MC is often wrong! I learn as my MC learns that people aren't always who they seem. Being more clear on your supporting cast is never a bad thing—they need to be people with their own motives and drive, not just there to serve the MC's story.

PRO: Gets You Thinking
I think the most important thing I've taken away from the character sheet is just how much it's made me THINK. The questions are kind of lame, yes, and sometimes you know immediately the answer. But then you have to think about WHY, and that has been so helpful.

Just like crit partners help you see your book from a different perspective, character sheets seem to do the same thing for me.

If you'll notice, character sheets squeaked out one more Pro than Con, so I'm reluctantly declaring them useful despite being annoying. Further proof that this whole writing thing is, like, work. Dang it. I think I'm going to have to do a whole week on why writing is fun to make up for this concession.

38 comments:

  1. Thank you! I knew I couldn't be the only person in the world who thinks character sheets are the most boring thing in the world.

    You've listed some good reasons to slog through them, though. I think I'll try the idea of doing them after the first draft. I've always done them first and felt they were utterly useless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Natalie. Thank you. I've used some character interview sheets and had the same experience you did: haven't really met them yet, so who are these characters anyway?

    Which character sheet do you use? Have you used more than one pre-developed tool or developed your own?

    Thanks!

    Lyn
    http://lynsouth.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lyn, the link to the one I'm using is in the parenthetical 2nd paragraph:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, that's what I get for skimming. >.<

    This post is so good, I tweeted it for you. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks for the review and for some very good reasons to plod through one of these. And thanks for the link, too!

    This sounds like exactly what I need for this umpteenth rewrite.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh! Nice new header!
    I am not a character sheet person. Even reading your pro and con list stresses me out a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting post! I've tried this a few times and it didn't work for me, but I do compromise with a "book bible" of sorts where I list everything possibly relevant about my world and characters to keep it consistent.

    I like how you showed Pros and Cons - they were spot on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I"ve never tried a character sheet before. I've always tried to sketch them out just a little bit before I got started but not that in-depth. After I finish the rough draft of the story I'm working I'll have to fill a couple of these out to see what it's like. Thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I spent a lot of time filling out character sheets before I began my WIP. I thought they were useful when I began to write. However, now that I'm over halfway done, I've discovered that I didn't know my characters as well as I thought I did. So I really like your idea of filling them out after the first draft is complete.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness, that thing looks tedious.

    Am I the only novice writer dork in this blogosphere who hears the term character sheets and thinks Dungeons and Dragons?

    Does that question date me more than I should allow?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Matthew, I think the same thing! I just like that name best. I've heard them called profiles, sheets, lists, charts, interviews, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so absent-minded I have to do a BRIEF character sheet on my main characters from the get-go. Otherwise, I might give my hero blue eyes halfway through the book when he started out with God-given green eyes.

    But I don't spend a whole lot of time on it. I think I got mine off the Harlequin website eons ago, and it's mainly physical description, best friends, main problem, stuff like that. The Government Paperwork Act would say that it would take less than 15 minutes to fill out. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This was great. Thanks for posting. I've thought of some of these things on my own which I wrote down in a notebook but not all. I think it's great to have a "cheat sheet."

    With my latest WIP I've actually taken a chapters and rewrote them from another characters POV (if they were present) and that really helped me learn more about them. I only did this with one character and I was going to use these chapters in my WIP (I've since cut them) but it helped me gain a better understanding for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ha! That's great Natalie, now I don't feel so alone, or dorky.

    Also now that I know how cool you are, can I send you an email?

    I would really like you to do a guest post on my blog (I do them weekly on Fridays ... check it tomorrow morning for a wonderful example from Cole Gibsen, to get an idea of what I'm talking about). You can just reply here whether it's okay to email you and then I'll give you some more details.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've never used them, but using them as a revision tool sounds like a great idea. I'd always heard of writers filling them out before their first draft, which I tried once before, and it so did not work. But using it to help "fill in the gaps" about the characters for revision is something I'd never thought about before. Thanks for the insight!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think I'll give that a try after I finish this blasted rough draft. But I appreciate your honesty about the good and the bad of it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Matthew,

    I'm sorry, but you are still dorky. However, you are not alone! There are plenty more dorks who like/play D&D out there! I wish I had more time and people to play D&D with.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Also, rolling character stats is awesome! Do you do that for your books?

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great tool. *Note to self*

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm down with the character sheets because I'm a gamer of old. ;) However, I agree with you about them being more useful after a first draft. It's just too hard to know for sure up front. Well, for me. I can't wait to read the post about writing being fun.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I saw the link to the character sheet you're using on Twitter a few days ago and I printed one out for my MC... you're right! It's a lot of hard work. But, like you said, I've been getting to know my characters better and been having plot revelations.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A few people in my writers’ group wanted something different than the average character outline/sketch/sheet/whatever. We wanted to be able to track how a character changes in a story and relate those changes to the events that caused them. We came up with a character sheet that is shorter than the one you are using, but the dynamic aspects come in handy. It really is a character development tool instead of a static portrait at some point in the character’s journey.

    Character Sketch and Outline

    I invite you (all of you) to try it out sometime. I would love to hear your feedback. I'm open to enhancements and additions.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow. That character sheet looks like a lot of work, but it might be worth a try.

    Thanks for giving me something to think about.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've recently typed up a character spreadsheet for my WIP (my first time to try this), and it's helped fill in some missing pieces, but it's not NEARLY as detailed as those character questionaires you're working on. Maybe after the first draft...

    ReplyDelete
  25. A buddy of mine developed some really great character sheets you might be interested in. They are even able to track character-changing events, so you can see how your character grows. :)

    http://rgarrettwilson.com/blog/?p=185

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hmm. This got me thinking...about a lot of stuff that would be very boring to relate here:)

    Thanks for this, Natalie.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I was wondering if you were ever going to link or post a template of these dastardly character sheets. Thank you so much! I was fed up with the weak one I pulled off a website ages ago because half the questions didn't fit right with my genre.

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOL.

    I do this sort of thing before I start work on a novel, but it's never in-depth. There's this book, The First Five Pages. In it, he has all these questions to think about for your characters. I pick and choose which ones I think are most appropriate to the character at hand. But I definitely don't hold myself to it while writing. (Mainly because sometimes, I don't have it right by me when I'm writing.)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm a big fan of character sheets. The one I got from a book is even more extensive than yours (though I'm adding a few questions from the one you use). Most of the questions I don't answer because they aren't relevant to my characters (e.g views on abortion). I also use the book Getting into Character. You think character sheets take time to fill out. That's nothing compared to the exercises in the book. But by the time I'm finished (I only do it for the key characters), I know my characters better than I know my own husband. (Okay, there's something really sad about that.) But I also get more ideas for my plot by doing the exercises. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Excellent post! I agree with you about how some things are revealed AFTER you write the first draft, but some are there prior. Maybe we could use the sheets before, during and post first draft?

    Fill in the blank?
    And yes, doing tedious chores helps stir the creative pot LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nick, you had me rolling (with laughter, not 3d6) I have never thought of that, but it would be fun!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I agree with you. I use a notebook while I write. Have a page for each character with the basics. Then as I write the book and inspiration strikes I make a note under the character's name. Thanks for the great post!

    ReplyDelete
  33. You're right. That is crazy in-depth.

    I made a mini-character sheet for each of the main characters: just motivations and conflicts and personality notes. And my MC really changed from who he was when I wrote that to who he was when I wrote the novel. So I'd kinda written off outlining (and all it's facets).

    But you raise an interesting point about using it for revision. It would be a great tool to have in front of you when rereading.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Aww man... You just convinced me to do character sheets AND that it's gonna stink. Sigh. Why is it so much work, anyway? :p

    my word ver : ruccent - I'm pretty sure this is the word you end up with when you are reluctant to spell reluctant. Oddly apt here. Just sayin'.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hmm, I feel torn about doing character sheets. Which is why mine are so lightly done. But this is great food for thought, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ooh! Okay, I'll admit to being an organizational nut and this is very intriguing to me. I might do some character sheets.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I adore character sheets. It's one of the few organizational tools I actually use. Although I do mine after writing the first couple of chapters, because by then I've got the basics of the voice down and I'm trying to go deeper.

    Kewl.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you for this post!

    I tried doing character sheets before my first draft and it was miserable. It makes much more sense to fill them in after the first draft is done and I've met my characters.

    ReplyDelete