Saturday, July 17, 2010

I'm A Big Kid Now

This morning I was all, "Man, I wish I had some of my mom's raspberry peach jam. That, plus some Nutella on toast? Dude."

Then I was like, "She never makes it anymore! Ugh! I bet even if I drove up there to steal some, there wouldn't be any..."

And THEN I thought, "Wait, I could, like, MAKE some myself. Whoa. I could so do that!"

So I went to the store and bought fresh raspberries and peaches and lemons. I got canning jars and pectin. And all the while I couldn't help thinking about how long it took me to realize I could make the dang jam myself.

Even now sometimes I still act like a child—"Mom! Make me some jam! Gosh!"—and I have to step back and remember that I am, shockingly, a grown up now. If I want homemade jam, I have two hands completely capable of peeling peaches and stirring in an alarming amount of sugar.

It was scary at first. I'd helped my mom but never done it myself. I might have messed it up. I admit I forgot to grab a few ingredients and ran out to the store...three times. I fumbled over the slippery peaches. I felt like a wuss when my arms burned from stirring and stirring.

But I made jam! And I did it by myself. Self-sufficiency feels good. Tastes good, too.

18 comments:

  1. Nice! Jam's the best! Also, total throwback to childhood, especially with my Polish grandma! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You realize you need to post the recipe, right?

    It's been forever since I made jam with my Mom. I'd spend the entire time on the phone with her, checking every step. Fortunately she gave us a whole box of jams, jellies, and preserves just last month. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, I'll link her recipe in the post! Good idea;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool. Now will you make some for me because apparently I haven't grown up yet. :) Love your bangs, btw. Looking so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, goodie! I was just about to ASK for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds yummy! :D Glad you tried to make it and it turned out good! I'll have to look over the recipe soon hehe. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mother cured me of ever wanting to make jam. I think one summer we had something like 3 bushels of peaches that had to be skinned and pitted. My fingers were so raw.

    I'll leave the jam sessions to you (winks).

    Another substitute for jam is Peach Mel-o-creme. It's honey based and absolutely delicious with Nutella. (Hugs)Indigo

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks YUMMY! Mmm, jam.

    Being a Big Kid is scary. All risky and stuff. But with great risk comes great -- well, great somethings. Good somethings, bad somethings. Usually, and hopefully, good somethings. Like jam.

    Mmm. Jam. I need dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still do that. I'll visit my parents and my mum has made tomato soup for me. I could make it myself...

    But that jam sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ha! A good-ole blogging just for the sake of telling people about your weird life. Refreshing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do still have jam in the freezer but, isn't it way more cool that you made it yourself and now you have a years supply unless you give some of it away.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks delish!! I've never heard of that flavor, but I'd definitely try it out. Got enough for a giveaway? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That jam sounds yummy. I never did learn how to can or anything. Now I'm kinda jealous.

    I so know what you mean about reminding yourself that you're a grownup. That's a transition I'm smack in the middle of right now. It's a tough time and can be really tumultuous. But it'll all work out. And sometimes you get really yummy results!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always forget that I'm not in my teens until I see real teenagers, and then I realize I'm supposed to be responsible.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Just today my friend came over and taught me how to make home-made jam. I never realized it was so easy and fun. We'll have plenty of strawberry jam around for awhile. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's so cool! It took me ages to feel like a real grown-up but at 56 I finally believe I am. Most of the time!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My Mom is a professional caterer. On principle, I never make anything that she's better at, when I'm at home. That, by the way, is everything. Except omelettes and M&M cookies. :D

    ReplyDelete