Sunday, July 18, 2010

Sunday Sketch

I love pencil. Don't get me wrong, my drawing tablet is a lot of fun, but pencil will always be my first love. I'm confident drawing in pencil. I feel like I can do things I can't in other mediums. I like the sketchy look in general. Simple, soft, raw.

Anyway, this is for Cindy Pon! She recently won 3rd place in my Bring On The Funny contest. Cindy, I hope you're squealing right now:) I'm so happy with how it turned out. It was a great excuse to try my hand at your characters again.

This is Ai Ling and Chen Yong from her novel Silver Phoenix and the upcoming sequel Fury of the Phoenix. I really enjoyed her book and look forward to the next. If you're an Asian fantasy fan in particular, you'll probably enjoy these. The first had such an old folklore feel. Very cool.

13 comments:

  1. This is amazing!! You've got serious talent with a pencil!

    This picture makes the story come alive. Now I want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've captured the spirit of both the characters really well! (I love the book :) )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could draw like this. You're so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW. Just...WOW. You are so talented. It's gorgeous!!! :D

    And serious congrats to Cindy for getting such an amazing picture!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow!!!! That is the most awesomeness thing ever! I hope one day I'll be able to draw half as good as you....
    Wow. ahah... WOOOOOWW!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhhh! i'm totally squealing! I LOVE IT!!!! thank you so much, natalie!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a gorgeous picture! Lucky Cindy (or rather, well done!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cindy, I thought I heard squealing in church, hehe. Or maybe that was the little baby next to me.

    No really, so happy you like it:) It was a pleasure to draw!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning! THIS should be the new cover. *cough cough*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous. I need another Natalie drawing. Must win a contest.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Natalie, I would probably swoon and faint if you ever drew any of my characters because it would be amazing. Must, must, must win a contest. *sighs longingly*

    ReplyDelete