Hmm, maybe NaNoReaMo will teach me how to write short posts, because I'm already feeling the crunch here. I know, day two and I'm freaking out. I'm really fine, mostly. I just have to read like 150 pages today to stay on track...
A few random thoughts today, in no particular order.
• So remember how I was rewriting the ending of Transparent for the bajillionth time? Yeah...I hate it. It's way, way too much. This is a problem that comes with rewriting a whole book from page one. You automatically think rewrite instead of minor revisions. And sometimes stuff doesn't need to be rewritten. Tweaking never feels like enough now, even when it is. But anyway, at least I know now that I do like most of my current ending. It just needs a little more oomph.
• Ninja Girl put something in our downstairs toilet yesterday, and we have yet to fix it though both Nick and I have attempted the usual plunger/snake strategies. She's done this before, too, and I can't figure out for the life of me why this is so entertaining. Dino Boy was never that interested in the toilet—it scared the living daylights out of him, actually—so this is new, frustrating territory. I'm trying to look at the bright side, though: running up the stairs to go to the bathroom will burn more calories, right?
• There's something intoxicating about NaNo. Reading about everyone hitting word count goals and working so hard? Yeah, it makes me want to work, too! Except I said I wouldn't, dangit. For the first time in awhile, I actually kind of wanted to write last night. I must admit it has been a chore for about, oh, six months. I worked, but it was out of duty and not love. I feel like the love is slowly coming back, and I need to stay very still for fear that it'll run away again.
• There's this commercial that's really ticking me off. It's for some big SUV and features this "cool kid" who's all complaining about how his parents drive a dorky car that ruins his image. And then he's all "this big SUV is cool and stylish and so me." What makes me most angry is the end tagline that goes something like "just because you're a parent doesn't mean you have to be lame." Seriously? Is that what parenting has become? We're supposed to make sure our children aren't embarrassed of us? We're supposed to cave to their desires instead of teaching them that crowd following is foolish? Oy, I could rant about this all day.
• And I need a fifth random thought, because heaven forbid I end on an even number. Oh, yes. Got one. I really like light reading. I said this on Twitter yesterday, but I can't help saying it again. I like sparkles and swooning and happy endings! I like funny, light, quick, and smart. I know we're all supposed to be into the deep tortured stuff, but when it comes to my entertainment in any medium, I want to feel happy! I want to laugh! I want to close the book with a smile. I don't think that's such a bad thing, and I'm so grateful for every writer out there who writes this so-called "fluff." To me, it's not fluff at all. It's exactly what I need when I want a break from life, when I need to see the humor in tough situations. So thank you.
Okay, that's what's on my mind today. What's on yours?