Sunday, November 14, 2010

What I Read: Week 2

NaNoReaMo Week 2 down! I am happy to say that I am still on track—finished book #6 around midnight last night. And then I didn't really sleep because I couldn't stop thinking about it. You know how it is...

Also, something unexpected happened this week, too. I wrote. A lot actually. More than I even realized. I just tallied it up, and I added 9,995 words to my Squishy, sekrit project (which isn't very sekrit anymore). I know I said I wouldn't work this month, but I think all this reading has jump started my brain. I just wanted to point that out, because I think we forget sometimes how important reading is. So yeah. Read.

Now, on to the books! (Reminder: I don't do summaries, but if you want to read one click the title.)

4. The Reckoning by Kelley Armstrong
This is the final book in the Darkest Powers series, which starts with The Summoning. It was everything I wanted for the story and characters, so I was very pleased when I set the book down. The ending was well balanced. I won't say more because I hate to spoil things.

I really enjoyed this series overall. It's fast-paced. The paranormal powers are different (the MC can raise zombies, for example). And it twists without throwing you off the ride.

Actually, I would recommend this series to guys, despite the extremely girly cover. I feel sad that boys might not pick this up due to that, because the story itself is mostly action based. Conspiracy theories. Being on the run. Creepy undead stuff. And guess what? There isn't even one single kiss in the first two books. So, boys, just take the jacket off and read.

5. Gone by Lisa McMann
I freaking loved the first two, and the final installment was no exception. Be warned, it is on the gritty side, and some people say the style was too hard to read (third present). But I think it was the perfect choice for the mood of the series. I love the short, clipped pace of these books. It makes for fast reading and room for lots of interpretation. I love that.

Gone was not what I expected after reading Fade, but it was an awesome change of direction. I am so glad for the surprise, and I think it might actually be my favorite of the series. It tied everything together so well, gave answers and revelations, but it wasn't a pretty bow either. It stayed completely true to the story.

6. The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen
Basically, this book made me regret not reading Dessen sooner. You know how sometimes you mean to get to some of those big authors everyone lauds, but then it just doesn't happen? Yeah, that was me and Dessen. (It's also me and Meg Cabot, sadly.)

But holy crap, I loved this book. I didn't want it to end. I'm still sad it's over. It had so many things I loved—art, catering, Truth. I don't get the compulsion to reread books often, but this is one I will likely come back to.

Besides, I practically blew through the last 150 pages going "Oh my gosh why haven't they kissed? She's going to drag this out to the very end! Oh, I will DIE if she does that. WHY, SARAH, WHY CAN'T THEY JUST FREAKING KISS ALREADY?"

So...yeah. I probably missed some of the finer details in the back third, which is a shame because the more I thought about it the more I realized its brilliance. This is what kept me up all night. I started to think about the seeds she planted in the beginning, how they grew and came together at the end. On the surface, it looks effortless, maybe even simple. But as a writer? I can see the work she put into this, and it seriously paid off.

Yes, Sarah Dessen is one of my new writing heroes.

And with that, I begin week 3. Woot.

13 comments:

  1. Oh to have time to read for pleasure, for me a forgotten art, I'm obviously doing something wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was late to the Sarah Dessen party too, but I had the same reaction. :) Actually, this one was the most recent that I read. So far my favorite is Just Listen, though, I think.

    Also, I thought I heard/read somewhere that there's going to be another installment in The Darkest Powers series. I really hope so, because I wasn't satisfied with that as an ending (romance-wise, anyway).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer, there is going to be another one, but it follows different characters in the same world. Still, I hope there's some cameos from these books too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I just checked out her website. Sounds like the characters will show up again eventually, which would be nice. Thanks for the clarification!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I did the same thing with The Truth About Forever - I'm a grown woman, sitting there, screaming at a book, "Kiss already!!!" That book = <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a good week! :)

    Last week I finished DEAD BEAUTIFUL by Yvonne Woon, and now I'm onto THE HERO AND THE CROWN by Robin McKinley.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ditto on Dessen. Really must try her out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed The Reckoning as well. I don't know why I assumed this, but I thought there might be a fourth book in this series. I guess I wanted the story to keep going, and I felt like there were some things that still needed to be explained. As far as Dessen and Cabot, I still haven't gotten around to reading them either. Not sure why. I guess part of me thinks (based on my assessment of the cover) that Cabot might be too girly. But, I know better than to judge a book by its cover.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sarah Dessen is my hero! I am working on my first contemporary YA right now, and the first draft kinda stinks (as they tend to do). Whenever I get down on it, I pick up one of her books and just remind myself why I want to keep working on this. I seriously love her. The Truth About Forever is my favorite of her books, but I just love them all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Reckoning is on my list. I read the first two and enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO glad you liked Dessen! She's an extraordinary talent and a solidly nice person. A role model, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I finally got around to reading The Truth About Forever a couple months ago. I loved every minute, but I was just like you! I concentrated so much on getting to kiss, I'm afraid I sped through the rest of the book a little too quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had to buy The Truth About Forever immediately after reading your blog post - read it all day at work, hiding my Kindle under my desk. LOVED it!

    ReplyDelete