Wednesday, November 24, 2010

In Which I Get Giddy About First Drafts...

Hey guys! Remember that book I was writing? Yeah, I finished it today. I mustered my inner ninja cyborg and hammered out about 37k words in 2.5 weeks (total word count = 58k). I totally could have rocked NaNoWriMo if I had more book to write. (This is actually why I don't do NaNoWriMo—I do not have a problem getting a first draft down. All the editing after that? Yeah...maybe I should do NaNoEdMo...)

That First-Draft-Done high is awesome. I'm basking in it, guys. Oh, I know the book needs a lot of work, but it's there. I have a whole book, start to finish. It even has a plot this time! Actually, I'm pretty proud of this plot. But I have been working on this book on and off for a year (not to mention I tucked the idea into my "you can't write that yet" pile like three years ago), so it had a lot of time to marinate.

I know we all have different relationships with the first draft. Heck, we have different relationships we every first draft we write, don't we? But I gotta say I still love finishing a book for the first time. I guess it's the closest a writer can get to reading their book like a reader—there's a discovery and excitement you can't quite get back in revisions. Oh, revisions can be rewarding, but it's not the same feeling, it's not holy-crap-I-just-wrote-a-WHOLE-BOOK. It's more like holy-crap-this-book-finally-looks-SHINY.

Do you want to know stuff about it? I've kept this book pretty close to my chest, especially in comparison to some of my other ones. I should at least throw out a few random facts:

• It's contemporary YA. Yes, I wrote a book with no creatures, special powers, or even explosions. I'm kind of questioning my identity, actually.

• There is a car named Puke.

• The MC secretly listens to James Taylor.

• There is a good girl, a bad girl, and a girl in the middle.

• There is a weekly Anime marathon night. And cat ears.

• Also, the MC plays football. He's a running back.

• Basically, it's a weird book, but what else would you expect from me?

*Happy sigh*

Did I mention I finished writing a book today? Oh, I did, huh. I really didn't think I'd be able to say that this year, and I am so, so thankful that I get to. I love my little, misshaped book baby, and I kind of hope that someday you'll get to see it all growed up.

28 comments:

  1. I love this post so, so much!! Seeing how excited and happy you are makes me inspired and makes me want to finish my WIP even more! I hope one day I get to read it when it's "all growed up" :) And congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHEEEE!!! What fantastic news! Congratulations! :D I'm so proud of you. I can't wait to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, Steph, I'd be WAY too scared to give it you! You'd be all, "What is she THINKING trying to write this?"

    Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting!! And I love football. :D Congrats, and Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing!! Congratulations! And genre hopping is always a plus...writing something out of the norm is exactly what paves the way for bursts of genius like that. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good job! gratz on finishing the draft =)

    So looking forward to reading it some time in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks awesome! Congratulations!
    And just in time to take a break for Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfect time to finish your first draft, right before Thanksgiving. Now you can just relax and eat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations! Finishing a first draft always makes me giddy, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's awesome news. I did try NaNo, and I suck this year. I'm only 29k words behind with 5+ days to go.

    I wonder if I could do it ...

    Who's kidding who? I work full time (and not writing).

    Way to go you, though--37k words in 2 1/2 weeks is nothing short of amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am so jealous. Just starting out I am so far away from where you are. And I have to work on my blog, and work on my....

    Maybe some day. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The feeling of completing a book is amazing. Glad you're taking the time to enjoy it. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yupi!!! I love that feeling. What did you do to celebrate?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Actually, Alex, I went out to lunch with my dear friend Kiersten White. She just happened to be in town:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, Congrats! I've only just recently discovered that high and hope to again in about three months time!

    ReplyDelete
  16. CONGRATS!

    Finishing a book?
    Best. Feeling. Ever.

    ReplyDelete
  17. So happy for you, Natalie - I hope the be there soon myself!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anime marathons!!!!

    Yay!

    I'm glad Squishy's in the world. Have fun prettying it up. After a well deserved break of course.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations! So proud of you! :) Squishy sounds fantastically quirky!

    -Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  20. WOW! So happy for you. And love your infectious enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Weekly anime marathon eh? I only watch anime on days that end with Y.

    :D

    I just finished up my first draft about a week ago. You're right, there's nothing quite like that high.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations!
    And cat ears are awesomeness. :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well done! I love the high from finishing first drafts, it gets you in such a great mood for the rest of the day. I can't remember finishing a first draft and not going to sleep with a smile on my face. Take a break! You deserve it. The novel sounds really interesting, keep us posted :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations!! I finished mine last weekend and I am SO happy! I know exactly how you feel! But I also have a sense of...now what? Well, I know what...editing! That editing part is a little overwhelming though!

    ReplyDelete