Sunday, January 29, 2012

Thai Red Curry

In yet another attempt to get the food I want without having to pay restaurant prices, I went on a quest to figure out how to make Thai Red Curry. Yes, a quest. I love curry—Indian, Japanese, Thai, everything—and so does my husband. It's kind of our comfort food, especially in the winter. Recently my husband has fallen in love with Thai curries (his first love was Japanese, as he spent time living there), so it made sense that I add this to my ever-growing repertoire of Asian-origin dishes instead of dropping 20 bucks on dinner out.

Well it turned out great! And it wasn't too hard to make as far as curries go.

Thai Red Curry
(Note: This recipe is spicy. I like heat, and this is about "medium hot" to "hot" for me. Heat depends a lot on the paste you get or the peppers you use to make your own, so it's hard to gauge just how much curry paste will make your curry too hot. If you're worried about heat, start with less paste and work up by adding more until it's right for you)

Ingredients:
• 2 tbs. red curry paste (I got mine at the Asian store, which is where I have to get most anything "exotic" in Utah.)
• 2 cans coconut milk
• 2 tbs sesame oil (or any oil on hand, though peanut or sesame will create a deeper flavor)
• 1-2 tsp salt
• 1-2 tbs fish sauce (you can sub soy sauce if you don't like fish sauce)
• 3 tbs brown sugar
• 1 tsp paprika (optional: for color)

• 1 large chicken breast, cubed (other meat options: beef, pork, shrimp)
• 1 green pepper, sliced
• 1 red pepper, sliced
• 1 sm. zucchini, halved long-wise and sliced
• 1 onion, halved and sliced
• 2-3 cups bean sprouts
• 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
(Other veggie options: carrot, potato, bamboo shoots, peas, basically what you enjoy)

Directions:
1. In a deep, large skillet, pour sesame oil and heat. Add red curry paste and warm, then add the coconut milk and stir until smooth.

2. As mixture heats, add fish sauce, brown sugar, salt, and paprika. Taste to adjust the flavor to your personal preference. Add more curry paste if not spicy enough.

3. Cut chicken breast into small pieces and add to curry, cook until chicken is mostly done. About 5 mins or so.

4. Add longest cooking vegetables first and fastest cooking last. In this recipe, that order is green and red pepper, onion (wait a few minutes for these to cook some), then zucchini, bean sprouts, and basil. Simmer curry until the vegetable are tender, but not too soft or mushy. Should have a fresh taste.

5. Serve curry in a bowl (preferably a large one, according to me) with a side of rice. Enjoy!


18 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! My town has no good Indian places so I love to make curry. Generally I make Indian curry because I grew up in UK where there is a ton of yummy Indian places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are greatly lacking in most ethnic foods here in Utah, so I feel your pain, Lexi! We have a couple really great Indian places, but they are also PRICEY Indian places. I've learned to make a couple of my faves just to save a buck or two, heh.

      Delete
  2. Some of the best international food I've ever had was at Disney, and the chefs there have been generous enough to allow allears.net to post many of their recipes online for folks to make at home. I'm particularly fond of the African-style food at Boma. Especially the Duban Chicken and Chicken-Corn Chowder. YUM!

    But if you like to try non-standard fare, check out their recipe list for some great ones.

    (http://allears.net/din/rec.htm )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, thank you! I do like "non-standard fare" very much:)

      Delete
  3. Can I kill you for posting this? *glares* Um, please invite me over soon. Please. Curry party, I'm telling you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This time I will answer my phone. I'm really upset I didn't hear it... :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a little embarrassing, but I'm not sure if I even like curry. But I know I love spicy food, and my husband says he "kind of likes" curry, therefore, I'm determined to give this recipe a try. I'm one of those people who will pretty much try any food, and there's very little I don't like (pineapple on my pizza - I don't like that). So, I'll let you know once I've tried this, b/c I want to know - Do I like curry?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well good luck! Curry isn't for everyone, but it'll always be a favorite here:)

      Delete
  6. I spend WAY too much money on Thai curry to go orders from my favorite restaurant. This recipe looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please post some recipes for Japanese curry! Thanks for letting us into the kitchen with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, I usually get my Japanese curry mix from the Asian market as well. It's really quite easy to make, but maybe I'll do a little something on it.

      Delete
  8. oh, yum! Can't wait to try this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohh, I'm SO excited to try this! My husband will be quite impressed :) We love Thai curry. Thanks for posting the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love curries and now you've made me hungry lol. Thanks for posting this. I'll definitely give it a try. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome recipe! I am one of the few people who actually likes curry.


    Hungry House

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, I love the red curry soup. Thanks for posting this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish my husband liked ethnic food, but sadly he does not. Maybe my kids will like it and he will be outnumbered. Anyway, I've never heard of fish sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd have to pass on it... my tastes don't run towards the hot and spicy side of food. Aside from some Cajun dishes.

    ReplyDelete