Friday, May 20, 2011

Happy Writers Society: Good Agents

Call For Guest Posts!
I feel like I've been talking a lot for HWS, and I very much love hearing how writing makes others happy. Did you know you could send in guest posts for Happy Writer meetings? Well, you can. It makes me very happy to see them in my inbox. So if you want, go ahead and shoot me an email at natalie(at)nataliewhipple(dot)com.

***

Alrighty, today it's all about agents. I don't talk a lot about my agent or others on my blog very often, but my agent makes me very happy. All good agents do, really. I think they are amazing, passionate people who are willing to take chances. They love books, and they champion writers they believe in. There is nothing like having a professional in your corner, one who is willing to put their own reputation on the line to sell your work.

I know it may not seem that way when querying. I remember being in the trenches, when it felt like they guarded a castle and I was trying to sneak in. They'd catch me every time. Sorry, not good enough. Try again.

For the newer readers, I'm not sure you know how long I queried. It was almost two years. Almost 200 queries over 4 different projects. I got a lot of no's and a lot of not quite's and some R&R's (revise and resend). But in the end, it was all worth it when Nathan offered representation. The work was hard, but it paid off and I am a better writer for it.

And, as you know, he was an amazing agent. Even when delivering tough news, he always made me feel like I could make it. He was responsive and hopeful and one of the hardest working people I've ever met. Still is, really. I was very lucky to have a chance to work with him, and very sad to see him leave because he was such a positive force in my writing life.

Though it took a while to snag an agent, I've been SUPER lucky to have had two great ones. Nathan put in me Anna's very capable hands, and she is just the most amazing agent ever. Frighteningly perfect for me. Nathan certainly had me pegged, because I honestly couldn't ask for more in an agent. It is extremely validating when she praises my work. It makes me smile the rest of the day. I am often overwhelmed by just how much she believes in my stories.

Can't lie, it's awesome. It's makes me a very happy writer. So here's to all the awesome agents out there! Huzzah!

7 comments:

  1. I can't wait to get an agent and to start querying! Nathan sounds like he was Godsend and I'm so glad you're happy with Anna! I don't know where I'd be without my crit partners! ;)

    ~Loren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaaaay! I'm so glad Anna turned out to be such a good fit.

    I hope your "marriage" produces many happy "book babies" for us. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guarded castle! Ha! I'm in the moat right now trying to avoid the archers on the battlements.

    I love these posts, Natalie. Sometimes it's hard, but I try to remain positive when it comes to the publishing industry. It's too easy to become bitter and disheartened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I agree with Jade. It's posts like this that keep us moat divers in the trenches. Thanks for helping to keep our heads above that nasty water!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I, too, have had two agents, both of which were good fits for my work at the time. The first shut his agency's doors and my books were left homeless for awhile. The second has been PHENOMENAL. You're right--when there's someone championing your work it makes all the difference.
    Can't wait to see you in print. You'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just want to echo the other folks here. When you're in that moat, it can seem nearly hopeless. Thanks for providing a positive vision for the future.

    ReplyDelete