Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Running

Reminder: My last auction item for All4Alabama ends TODAY at 8 PM CST. The bidding has gotten high enough that it's now a query, synopsis, AND 30-page crit! I may be bumping that up to 60 pages if we can get more bidders! So go bid!

About a week ago, I saw a sign advertising for a 5k run in the area. I've seen these signs all my life, but this was the first time I thought, "Huh, 5k doesn't seem like a very long run."

And then my brain kind of exploded, because that is certainly something I never, EVER thought I'd say. Like, ever. I have never been a runner. Honestly, I still hate running, even though I run at least 3 times a week now. I can feel my nerdy inner teen self glaring, grumbling about how lame I am for being like everyone else.

But the thing is, running produces results. When I first started, I was totally pathetic, huffing and puffing, couldn't even run a mile. Now I'm approaching 3 miles in 30mins, my current goal. It definitely didn't happen overnight, but by continued work, by pushing harder and harder, by continuing on even though I don't really like the act of running.

I do like the results, though. I've lost almost 15 pounds. I am stronger. I have more stamina. I can tell that my heart and lungs are healthier—it takes a lot more for me to get winded than it used to.

It's still hard for me to admit that I might be turning into a runner.

It didn't happen on purpose—I think it happened because of its measurable, extremely visible results. In writing, it can be hard to measure success. It's subjective, right? And sometimes it's really hard not to compare your subjective success to another's. I know I've reached some success in writing, but for some reason it's hard to hang on to that sense of accomplishment.

With running, it's so clear. A better time. A longer distance. Stronger muscles. Thinner waist. If I work, I see results, plain and simple. I never thought I would find comfort in running, but I do. Working in a profession where sometimes hard work does not equal a proportionally just reward, exercising has given me an outlet, a place where work equals results.

So while I don't ever love running, I adore the sense of accomplishment that comes after. If you're querying or on sub, I highly recommend finding something in your life with measurable results. Running keeps me grounded during a time in my writing where results and improvements and accomplishments are quite hazy.

20 comments:

  1. Don't forget that running also helps you avoid Writer's Butt. :) Way to go! You should stop resisting and just run the 5K. Then you'll be hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nooooo! Hehe. Jaime, I'm afraid if I start running with other people I'll turn that into a comparing game, too! For right now I'm so happy just to compete with myself. Why can't I see writing like that? Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought about finding something with measurable results. With running and exercise it's usually something I do to check it off of my to-do list. I should set better goals with that, something that I can achieve when so much is beyond my control or hard to see progress with. Thanks for the advice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crud. You're making me miss running now. But it's soooooo hot outside. I think I'm going to stick with my tentative plan of swimming in summer, and running every other season. (You know, assuming I actually get my butt out of this chair/house any time of year...)

    You're right though: tangible progress is a HUGE motivating factor, and something that's very hard to find in writing. Congrats on making so much progress in your running so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, but even when you have no chance of winning, it's a rush to be in a group that's all going the same direction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a runner, too, and never thought I would be because I always thought runners and chemistry majors were into self torture.

    I'm not fast but I love the discipline. And I ran a half marathon in April, which was a huge accomplishment. If you're interested, I ran several posts on the running/writing connection last April.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 3 miles in 30 minutes??? You're awesome. I'm still huffing and puffing at 1 mile and I've been doing it for several months now. I hate it. You're my hero. I will agree though that it does produce results so I will continue to try. (did I mention I hate it?)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice one Natalie, and I agree with Jaime, just run the 5K!

    Also, Ben's comment sounds like it should be a motivational quote or something, I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ben, this is true, but I'm still a little chicken. For now:)

    Kasie, it took a while to get here! I've been running since November, and only really pushing myself for the last couple months. And I'm still not quite at 3 in 30—still about a quarter mile short, but I hope to hit it this next month!

    And yes, I HATE it:) hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just do it! (sorry couldn't help it) But really road races are so fun, you get a t-shirt, a banana, probably some gatorade and to make friends with all the other crazies who signed up for the race.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ran about 20 miles a week for several years before I realized that I hated it. Now I walk and do yoga and Pilates.

    But you're right. I think having something to do with visible results is important when you're a writer. Exercise time is an excellent place to dump all the frustration and disappointment.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my best friends is a runner and has been for years. She loves it and feels like that morning run sets the tone for the rest of the day. Congrats on 3 miles in 30 minutes! That's incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I started running when I was a junior in college, and I'd wake up at the crack of dawn and wheeze and hack my way through half-a-mile. Now I'm running 30 miles a week, and I'm totally addicted (I'm in my late 20s now). I really think running is the best thing that ever happened to me. It helps keep me sane and grounded, and I no longer worry about body image or dieting because I know I'm in good physical shape. It's also great for writing - I get most of my ideas on a run!

    Anyway, thanks for sharing and spreading the running love - and enter the 5K!! You'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I'm impressed. I always hated running and still do. My favorite sports are ones that involve as little running as possible. Table tennis is awesome. Soccer... not so much.

    You're so right about measurable success -- I totally need something like that too. Exercising is a great idea! Just, you know, no running for me. :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Impressive time! I was doing 3 miles in 32 minutes for a while. Until winter. When I slacked off... But, I'm up and running again. Hopefully I can do a 5K this year! Running is the only thing that gets me in shape. I don't LOVE it, but I'm starting to like it a whole lot more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hate running, pretty much I hate anything that makes me sweat. I'm bitter about the fact that I'm at the age now where exercise is an absolute must if I don't want to turn into Mrs. Stay-Puff-Marshmallow. I'm very, very bitter. But I'm also impressed with you! I can walk 1.5 miles in thirty minutes. :) I do it all the time on my treadmill.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, my sis was the same way... now she can't get enough of the running. Last fall, she ran the Las Vegas half marathon and loved it. Maybe that will be you soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice persepctive. Every time I think about running, the rain falls for a week. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  19. 3 miles in 30 minutes is the goal I'm working on now too! I recently realized that the reason I sucked at/hated running so much was because I was trying to run too fast too soon. So I slowed it down, and I'm actually making progress now :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I did my second ever 5K this morning. I started running in January and did my first 5K in March. I started running to prove that I could (I was the girl who practically cried when we had to run a mile in gym class) and to lose weight. Once I did my first 5K, I was HOOKED! I didn't believe I'd become hooked, but that feeling you get when you're finished is incredible. It's addicting. And I love that with running I'm only competing with myself. It's such a solitary sport and I love pushing myself to improve. Keep up the good work and let us know if you decide to run a 5K :)

    ReplyDelete