Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Counting Down

My sister just returned home from New Zealand. She also went to Japan while she was over there, and she brought me back cute things and candy and pretty chopsticks and funny stationery. One set has a cute bear on it and says, "This is a story about bears." It also comes with stickers that say "The bear is under the tree" and "It is so peaceful in the forest."

♥♥♥Japan♥♥♥

Anyway, right now is kind of the calm before the storm at my house. Not that this summer has been quiet, because it's seriously been one of the busiest times of my life, but so many things are about to happen. I can feel it, that shift in the air as a new phase begins and another ends.

Dino Boy is starting kindergarten next week. I'm so excited! I'm really interested to see if I cry or not. I didn't cry for preschool, and I keep hearing about moms crying and feel like maybe I'm doing this mothering thing wrong. But either way, he's excited and I'm excited.

Ninja Girl is starting preschool, too. She is beyond ready—she trucks her new backpack everywhere and keeps saying, "I want to go to school NOW!" Me, too, Ninja Girl. She is my social butterfly that I don't quite know how to handle, and she will be so much happier to have an outlet other than her anti-social mom.

And to add to this, I'm awaiting the fabled editorial letter! It's getting close, and I'm not quite sure if I'm nervous or excited or what. I mean, it's kind of scary because I haven't looked at the book since like February, but at the same time I'm so ready to get back into it and do that whole official "Edits for my EDITOR" thing. I still forget sometimes that I HAVE AN EDITOR. Weird. You'd think it would all be real by now, but nope.

So the counting down is basically all I can think about right now. A week until kindergarten. Two and a half until preschool. My editorial letter somewhere in the mix of that.

Fall, here we come. Hurry on up, will you? I want to wear these awesome gray boots I just bought, and edit my book while my kids are at school. *squee*

14 comments:

  1. :)

    Enjoy the chaos while it's a happy one.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My oldest is starting K on Wednesday, and I'm not sure I'll cry, either. It's only half-day at our school, and he has an afternoon slot, so I'm counting on a few hours of writing during the youngest's nap time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can just see you sitting and staring into space because your kids are in school and your all alone. You won't know what to do. Then you might do something crazy like vlogging again. ;)

    My daughter goes to preschool this year and I don't think I will cry. I am excited for her because she is so excited about it. A new adventure is always fun.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such anticipation, on all sorts of levels! I wrote some 'Small Stones' about 'Sunshine' heading off to Kgt. Sob.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww..sounds like an interesting change!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think I'll cry either. I don't think it makes you a bad mom or doing something wrong...just recognizing and accepting change! Yay for change!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray for good changes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. As long as you wear the awesome gray boots while your editing the book.

    With my first kid, I didn't cry but still had a hard time letting go. After he got on the bus I felt like I'd lost an appendage. My second child was easier, but I don't love her any less.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think my mom cried when I went to preschool or kindergarten - I was the one doing the tantrum-throwing and crying. Ha ha. Mi mama, on the other hand, was just looking for a place that would keep her (then) first and only child safe and occupied for at least a few hours of the day so that she could work and earn a living. Coincidentally, this was in Japan, the very place you spoke of on your blog :D I absolutely LOVED it there, and I SO SO wish I could go back. I spent the first half of my childhood there, and went to school and everything and became fluent in Japanese. How amazing of an experience is that? I just wish I remember it enough to write about it - just imagine the stories that would come of that kind of a once-in-a-lifetime type of thing, right?

    All the best for Dino Boy and Ninja Girl. Love those nicknames, by the way. Do they know that their writing mother writes about them? :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope both your kids enjoy their first day, and that your letter comes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that Japanese doll! My hubby served a church mission in Japan, so I've grown to love the place and culture.

    Yay for kids in school! Good luck with all that EDITING for your EDITOR (some words just need that capitalization to connote their great importance). :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooh, so much excitement! How awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete