Monday, February 6, 2012

Let's Play Catch Up!

1. I'm going to LTUE this week! If you're in Utah, I highly recommend trying to attend. Not only is the schedule packed with talent, but the price is the most affordable I've seen for a conference. If you are there and see me, please say hi! Sadly, I do not look like my picture currently, as I am pregnant and getting quite...round. So you know.

2. Speaking of the baby stuff, just thought I'd mention that I'm having a boy! I think some people may have missed that when I mentioned it on Twitter. Also, I am pregnant, in case you missed that (some people have!). I try not to talk about it too much. Like you need a constant stream of updates on my uterus, right? Anyway, all's well.

3. Publishing news! ...None of which I can actually TELL you. I know. Lame. But stuff is happening! It's cool, because honestly up until now not much has been going on since my deal back in April 2011 (minus edits). Wheels are starting to move. It's fun. I feel like the plane is just about to take off. Or some other cheesy comparison.

4. I'm, uh, kinda writing a new book. I should be editing, but after about 8 months of editing my brain rebelled and here I am 11k words into a book I shouldn't be writing. Not gonna lie—it's fun. Turns out writing is still enjoyable fourteen books in, thank goodness. And I figure I got here writing books I shouldn't have written, so why not have a little fun? (Don't worry, Editor Erica, if you read this. I am starting edits next Monday. Promise. Cross my heart. All that good stuff. [Please don't yell at me.])

5. Taxes Suck. It's my first time ever doing self-employment taxes! It's really only cool when you think about it. There is nothing cool in the actual process of doing them. But anyway, all good things come at a price, right?

6. I recently discovered Kasie West is my TV watching soulmate. Seriously. I've known her for like 3 years? I did NOT know we had such similar taste in television. This brings me great joy, since now I can discuss all the evil of Conda with someone who truly gets it. Instead of, you know, bugging my husband about it and him giving me confused glares.

7. Book-A-Week goal is roughly on schedule! Uhh, if you count manga and crit partner manuscripts, which I think should count! Especially because my friends write amazing novels that will so be published at some point. I seriously don't know why they took pity on me, because their writing makes me weep with insufficiency. But at least I get to enjoy raw brilliance, so I'm not gonna ask questions.

So what about you? Anything fun going on I should know about?

14 comments:

  1. Goodness no.
    My thesis is sucking my soul out, slowly and painfully.

    But I'm glad you're doing well (feeling better?), and can't wait to hear/see more from the strange enigma that is Publishing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have fun at the conference! It's not as cool, but the annual multicultural festival is on this weekend. This basically means AWESOME food all weekend!

    I am also writing when I should be editing. It's going well. (Unless you count the part where I scrapped 30k words and started again.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun at the conference. Didn't know you're having a boy. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Utah conference sounds like fun. Congratulations on having a boy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being the mom of three girls, I have some leftover boy names if you are interested--actually, I am certain my babies heard in utero the boy names their dad had picked out and decided to be girls.

    But, in case you want them, let me offer you these:

    Balthazar (seriously?)
    Wolf (never in a million years!)
    Harley (Okay...maybe)

    xoxo-

    Shelley

    PS. How could I forget?? Roscoe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on another little dinosaur! ;) And yay for the book stuff too, of course. Sounds like an exciting start to the year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm writing a book i shouldn't be (okay, rewriting a book I shouldn't be) and it is GLORIOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your baby boy! That's wonderful. Do you have names picked out? And I think it is perfectly acceptable to take an editing break (so says the woman that should be finishing these edits today). :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on having a boy!!! Boys rock. (You know as a mom of four boys I must say that, but they do. :D)So happy for you!!!!
    And congrats on writing, the good things in publishing ahead, and all the other awesomeness of 2012 for you. :D

    Oh, and I signed. :D I HAVE AN AGENT!! Thanks for all your help, Natalie. I couldn't have done it without you!!!
    hugs,
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for LTUE! Maybe I'll see you there. And congrats on the coming baby boy, and cool publishing stuff happening, and all that good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hooray for Natalie! AND hooray for Lynne too! Congrats ladies!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. CONDA!!!! EVERY time she rolls her eyes, I just want to jump through the screen and give her a talking to. Her brother seems like a great kid to me - did different people raise them?!?

    Also, for my money, Dolvett is just about the sexiest man alive.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on having a boy! I am guessing he will be a summer baby right? :) I was blessed to have my little guy just before it got really hot last June.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you're short on boy's names, go with Orsino, Feste, Toby, Sebastian, or Antonio.

    Yes, I've been watching Twelfth Night....

    ReplyDelete