Sunday, February 20, 2011

Weekend Sketch Returns!

So I've been in a serious drawing slump. Well, kind of a creative slump in general. Not gonna lie—it happened right around the time everything in my writing ventures went south. Save for a few bright moments, it's been tough getting back into the swing of things. I feel like I've finally gotten to a good place with my writing, but drawing...man. Lack of time and desire has resulted in virtually nothing of note since like August.

Example: I STILL have a poor contest winner waiting for her prize drawing. (So sorry Carrie, I am seriously working on it now and have the lines down. Just coloring. I know I'm lame.)

Anyway, I drew some stuff! Nothing exciting. But I did. I had the pleasure of going to a writing conference this weekend, and I brought my notebook along. I like to draw while listening. It actually helps me pay attention, strangely enough. I hear more. It's hard for me to just sit and listen/watch something. Like movies? I get bored...I have to be doing something while I watch.

So here are the fruits of my conference doodles, save one, since Kasie wanted the one I drew of her MC.

Remember "That Witch Thing" book? Well, it's now called House of Ivy and Sorrow (which would be like HIS shortened...creepily relevant). Yay! A title. I've been brainstorming plot and characters and such, and I like to sketch when I do. Helps me focus on the characters. So this is Jo, the MC with the crazy witch for a grandmother.

And this is just some messing around, but I like how it turned out. Sometimes I can't seem to get expressions like I want. This one worked.

I really need to get back in the habit of drawing, so I'm officially reinstating the Weekend Sketch. If I don't post, you have permission to yell at me. I need some accountability.

23 comments:

  1. Yay drawings! I, for one, am delighted to see this feature return to your blog, Natalie. Wip wip hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once you get out of the habit of drawing, it can be really hard to get back into it. I think it's a great idea to make yourself accountable on line--it may feel like a lot of pressure, but it may be just what it takes--ask me how I know! I've done the same exact thing, which has probably spurred one of my most prolific episodes, art-wise!
    Best wishes for your goal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you write as well as you do AND you can draw?? Share the talent wealth, girl!!! =)

    Just kidding. Thank you for sharing your drawings! Very cool! And I love the new title!

    Erin @ Quitting My Day Job

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome! I love seeing fellow artist/writers using both their talents so thanks for sharing your image of what your character looks like in your head! My personal imaginings are anime/manga style too, yet my personal drawing style is definitely more Disney. Odd how those can differ sometimes, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so awesome. I wish I could draw. Especially my characters in my books. That would be seriously so cool! I'm excited to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm seriously in awe! These are amazing!!! Gosh, what a gift you have!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to draw my characters, too - though I'm not quite brave enough to post my drawings. Yours are great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your work, know what you mean about getting the expressions just as you want them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your drawings are great! Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome sketches! :) That second one is totally breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yay, weekend sketch! I wasn't gonna bug you about it, but since you've given me permission...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love seeing other peoples' drawings, since mine are always so terrible.

    And it's strange how drawing can focus the mind. I had a professor in college who told us about a study he helped conduct on how much sketching/doodling can improve concentration.

    ReplyDelete
  13. another writer/artist, glad to see that. I like the sketches a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the second one!
    I have that same problem when watching a movie or tv. If I am not doing something, I get really restless. Probably why I don't watch much. Except now I discovered that I came stream Doctor Who on my Netflix. The amount of drawing I've been doing has gone up considerably.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your pictures, so I'm excited you'll be showing us more of them.

    I'm glad I finally got to meet you and Kasie in real life this weekend, although not at the same time. Good luck with everything!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my God, love love love love LOVE your new title. It just sounds gorgeous and creepy and like everything I'd want to read about.

    Also: "I like to draw while listening. It actually helps me pay attention, strangely enough."

    Yes! That's exactly how I was in college--okay, all throughout school--except with writing instead of drawing. I mean, okay, I obviously wasn't paying 100% attention, but at least I wasn't asleep? That was definitely a risk in some classes…

    ReplyDelete
  17. Please rest assured that I love looking at your sketches and can wait a little longer for mine! I'm right now waiting to hear back from a handful of magazines about whether they want to accept that story for publication...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adorable. She reminded me of Kitty Pryde, in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Did you know that you're a kinesthetic processor? That's why you can hear better when you draw. Donna Markova (gosh I hope I spelled that correctly) wrote a great book about it.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Pretty! I wish I could draw but my character's face always look odd haha

    ReplyDelete